cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

EDK 10.1 SP3 Upgrade Introduces Problems

I recently upgraded my EDK installation from 10.1 SP2 to SP3 and I am experiencing some serious problems with XPS and BSB.

Both of these tools crash every time I open them without any sort of error message, and I was wondering if anyone is experiencing this same problem with SP3?  Interestingly though, I can run XPS in "no window" mode successfully, so I'm fairly sure the crash is due to a GUI and/or block diagram generation problem.

Also, is there a command line option to run XPS in verbose mode in order to see what is making it crash

Thanks,

-Jason

0 Kudos
13 Replies
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

can you open a cmd shell and type in "xps" to launch the tool and see what happens?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Ricky:

I have narrowed down the problem a bit.  Now XPS only crashes when I open up multiprocessor systems. When the tool does crash I get the following messages:

[localhost mult_mb_test]$ xps system.xmp

Xilinx Platform Studio
Xilinx EDK 10.1.03 Build EDK_K_SP3.6
Copyright (c) 1995-2008 Xilinx, Inc.  All rights reserved.

Launching XPS GUI...
[jagron@localhost mult_mb_test]$ Overriding Xilinx file <mdtgui/images/xps-splash-screen.bmp> with local file
</opt/Xilinx/10.1/EDK/data/mdtgui/images/xps-splash-screen.bmp>
QSettings::sync: filename is null/empty
QTextEdit::setProperty( "alignment", value ) failed: property invalid, read-only or does not exist
QSettings::readNumEntry: 'true' is not a number
QSettings::readNumEntry: 'false' is not a number
Generating Block Diagram : /home/jagron/mult_mb_test/blkdiagram/system.html...

So I believe that the tool is failing to generate the block diagram for MP systems.  I then ran 'xpsgui' from the command line to hopefully get a more verbose output, which I did, and it suggests that I am missing a .jar file...

[jagron@localhost lin64]$ xpsgui
QPainter::begin: Cannot paint null pixmap
QPainter::setPen: Will be reset by begin()
QPainter::begin: Cannot paint null pixmap
QPainter::setWorldMatrix: Will be reset by begin()
QPainter::setFont: Will be reset by begin()

QTextEdit::setProperty( "alignment", value ) failed: property invalid, read-only or does not exist
QSettings::readNumEntry: 'true' is not a number
QSettings::readNumEntry: 'false' is not a number

WARNING:UtilitiesC:159 - Message file "usenglish/MDT.msg" wasn't found.
Generating Block Diagram :
/home/jagron/xps_tests/test2/blkdiagram/system.html...
Could not locate /opt/Xilinx/10.1/ISE/data/Batik/MDT_Batik.jar
Segmentation fault

So I am fairly sure that it is purely a block diagram generation issue, as the Batik libraries are used for SVG manipulation.  I have also tried using 'xinfo' to get diagnostic information, but this tool also seg-faults on my machine (on both SP3, SP2, SP1, and no SP) under RHEL 5.0 64-bit.

-Jason

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

If you believe block diagram is the issue, then in XPS, goto: edit -> preferences -> block diagram, and check off the generate automatically settings. Now try opening the project again.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

I went ahead and gave this a try, but when I try to re-open the project the tool still crashes when trying to draw the block diagram.  When I re-open the tool to try again (after the crash), the option is re-checked.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Here are some possible workarounds:

1. Open up XPS, de-select the generate blkdiagram preference, then open the project in the same XPS instance.

2. The blkdiagram is generated based on the relative timestamps between the .svg, .png files in the blkdiagram folder and the .mhs file. So you could just copy over a working blkdiagram, then touch everything in the blkdiagram folder, make sure it has a newer timestamp than the mhs, and then open up XPS.

Finally, if it is really the blockdiagram the issue (and not some other setup), then please consider filing a webcase with your project. At the very least, an MHS would be helpful in making sure this issue is fixed in a subsequent release.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

I tried following (1) verbatim, but the tool tries to re-generate the block diagram everytime I open a project regardless of the XPS preferences.

I also tried the following:

1) Open XPS.

2) Disable block diagram preferences

3) In another terminal - delete the blkdiagram folder of the project

4) Return to XPS (same instance as in 1,2) and open project

And unfortunately, XPS still crashes.

I currently have a WebCase open, but I wanted to post my problem here as well b/c I imagine others could be having these same problems.

If anyone is interested, my XPS system files can be found at...

http://comp.uark.edu/~jagron/xps/test2.tar.gz

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hey Jason,

I forgot we have SP3 installed on another server already so I downloaded your design and by 1st touching all of the files in the blkdiagram directory, then loading the project in XPS I was able to open the project.  I then went in and changed the preferences to not generate the block diagram, closed the project, delete the directory and reopened the project.  It created the blkdiagram directory, but did not try to re-draw the diagram.

It is pretty annoying I imagine to have to do that for each project you make.

- Andy 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

For some strange reason the changes I make in Edit-Preferences don't hold.  If I open XPS, edit the preferences, de-select "Generate block diagram", and then click "appy" and "ok", and then re-enter the preferences dialog, the option is re-checked.   I am thinking about editing my xilinxrc file, but I haven't quite yet figured out if I can disable this option from within xilinxrc.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Interesting, maybe it is the difference between 64-bit and 32-bit?

If you touch the files in the directory does it open at least that one time?  Or does it still crash regardless? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

It crashes every time.  I have even done the following:

1) Open a single processor system in XPS.

2) Modify it to have multiple processors while it is open in XPS.

3) Use the project and even run it on the board (while modifying SW and HW).

4) Close the project.

5) Re-open it in XPS, and it will crash.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

There are at least two different things going on here. I opened your design and XPS could not generate a block diagram. I opened a new project on just your MHS file and got the same result. It both cases the GUI did not crash, it just couldn't generate the diagram. Through trial and error I found that if I eliminate the FSL links the block diagram will generate.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Currently, I am just trying to get XPS to stay open, however, this seems to be only possible in NW (no-window) mode.

I am running the 64-bit version of ISE/EDK on a 64-bit RHEL 5.0 machine, and it seems that maybe the 64-bit version seems to have quite a few more pitfalls compared to 32-bit versions that seem prevalent in the forums.  I think that it is time to give up and re-install, but I feel that it should work as all of the Xilinx documentation states that 64-bit RHEL 5.0 is fully supported (http://www.xilinx.com/ise/embedded_design_prod/platform_studio.htm).
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Ok, I finally found a fix.  I found that the Xilinx config. file (xilinxrc) was set to read-only permission as well as being owned by root due to the fact that the tools were installed with 'sudo'.  These file permissions made it impossible to store the preferences in the xilinxrc file, and thus always causing XPS to try to re-generate the block diagram -- and crash.

Thanks for the help!

-Jason

0 Kudos