Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dawatson
Observer
Observer

EDK 13.1 BRAM Instantiation

Jump to solution

Hi all

I'm trying to instantiate some custom BRAM in a Microblaze design. Within XPS I instantiate a BRAM controller and then a BRAM block from the memory and memory controller catalogue. The problem is that the BRAM block being instantiated from the catalogue comes from the EDK install directory and when I check the VHDL for it, it doesn't exist. I reckon this is Xilinx's way of letting you create your own customised BRAMs via the core generator (which I have done).

The problem is I don't have a clue on how to actually use the core generated BRAM with the EDK BRAM block. A simple copy and paste won't suffice as the BRAM will require a wrapper - which doesn't come with generated BRAM. I've read some posts about the ISE navigator doing this for you but that's not true. The vague instructions from the ISE tell you to copy the VHDL from the .vho file into the relevant part of the the design.

Has anyone got any pointers on how to instantiate core generated BRAM into an XPS 13.1 design? From what I've seen this was an easier operation with the older versions of the EDK.

Thanks for your help

David

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dawatson
Observer
Observer

Fixed this by using the BRAM block and the BRAM controller and setting the size via the addresses tab.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
dawatson
Observer
Observer

I should clarify a bit. I basically want to use the bram generated via the core generator with the bram controller available from the XPS. Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
dawatson
Observer
Observer

Fixed this by using the BRAM block and the BRAM controller and setting the size via the addresses tab.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos