Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
qhcao
Visitor
Visitor

EDK Modification Request

Hi Xilinux Guy,

A minor problem of EDK is troubling me, from version 10.1 to 11.1. It's not a critical, functional issue but soiling user experience. I think it's better be modified if possible.

The issue is, while running "clean hardware" from EDK, the "implementation" directory  will be deleted, and re-created for "generate netlist". I looks natural.

But I'm working with CVS, the CVS subdirectory under "implementation" had been also deleted....  So, after "generate netlist" once again, I cannot commit the updated netlist files directly. I have to first update the whole project folder, and solve the CVS conflicts (due to the missing CVS subdirectory).

The same thing happens with "clean software" and "build BSP and libraries".

I believe it's easy to modify the make file to clean only files instead of the entire directory.

Regards,

Daryl

Message Edited by qhcao on 05-05-2009 07:21 PM
0 Kudos
3 Replies
bassman59
Historian
Historian

qhcao wrote:

Hi Xilinux Guy,

A minor problem of EDK is troubling me, from version 10.1 to 11.1. It's not a critical, functional issue but soiling user experience. I think it's better be modified if possible.

The issue is, while running "clean hardware" from EDK, the "implementation" directory  will be deleted, and re-created for "generate netlist". I looks natural.

But I'm working with CVS, the CVS subdirectory under "implementation" had been also deleted....  So, after "generate netlist" once again, I cannot commit the updated netlist files directly. I have to first update the whole project folder, and solve the CVS conflicts (due to the missing CVS subdirectory).

The same thing happens with "clean software" and "build BSP and libraries".

I believe it's easy to modify the make file to clean only files instead of the entire directory.

Regards,

Daryl

Message Edited by qhcao on 05-05-2009 07:21 PM

The implementation directory does not need to be in your repository.  In fact,certainly for 10.1 (I've no idea about 11.1), most of the cruft created by the tools does not have to go into the repo.

The only things you need in your repository, assuming that you use EDK standalone and not part of a larger ISE project, are:

a) project.mhs

b) project.mss

c) project.xmp

d) data directory (project.ucf)

e) your pcores

f) your applications

The tools will regenerate everything else as needed.

-a

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos
qhcao
Visitor
Visitor

Hi,

Yes, you are right when you're working solely.

But consider the situation where several persons are working in a team for a project, for example, person A is responsible for the embedded microprocessor system and handling the EDK project, while other guys are building the rest parts of the design...

Once person A release the ".ngc" files generated by EDK as well as the ".bmm" and ".elf" file, other team members can integrate and build the system directly with these files, don't need to run EDK once again...  This incremental method will speed up the process a lot,  and especially, in my team, the synthesis and P&R will be run on a 64-bit machine on which EDK cannot be installed...

Anyway, I think a software vendor better free their users as much as possible...

Thanks,

Message Edited by qhcao on 05-06-2009 05:38 PM
0 Kudos
bassman59
Historian
Historian

qhcao wrote:

Hi,

Yes, you are right when you're working solely.

But consider the situation where several persons are working in a team for a project, for example, person A is responsible for the embedded microprocessor system and handling the EDK project, while other guys are building the rest parts of the design...

Once person A release the ".ngc" files generated by EDK as well as the ".bmm" and ".elf" file, other team members can integrate and build the system directly with these files, don't need to run EDK once again...  This incremental method will speed up the process a lot,  and especially, in my team, the synthesis and P&R will be run on a 64-bit machine on which EDK cannot be installed...

Anyway, I think a software vendor better free their users as much as possible...

Message Edited by qhcao on 05-06-2009 05:38 PM

When you say "rest of the design," I assume you mean the rest of the FPGA design, correct? And furthermore, I assume that your flow involves having the EDK project be a subset of the larger ISE project, correct?

I stand by my statements that most of the cruft need not be in the repsitory.

But what you might wish to do, and NB that I have not tried this, is to use the EDK to create the NGC, BMM and other necessary files needed by ISE to build the larger design. When you are satisfied that the EDK part is correct, commit the results to the repository, so when the larger ISE design is checked out, your working copy includes those implementation files.

I will say, though, that Xilinx thinks that the hardware design will be completed first, and then the whole thing pitched over the wall to the software folks who will use SDK to write the applications.

-a

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
0 Kudos