UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer silva83
Observer

EDK & MicroBlaze

Jump to solution

Hello,

I am working with a Spartan 3E XC3S500E. My work is based on Microblaze Processor.

The board contain Spartan 3E with an example of MicroBlaze implementation. This core was design with EDK 8.1...

I don't get import that project for EDK 10.1 without errors!!!! :(  Anyone can help me!?...

It is the first time I work with FPGA, and I need some help!?...

Anyone that works with EDK can teach me Who begin with it!?...

Thank's

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Observer silva83
Observer

Re: EDK & MicroBlaze

Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks for your informations!! :)

I have one board with a processor core (MicroBlaze). This board has some peripherals and the company made it join a basic system project... Well, my question is: I could build a new project on this FPGA (the board already was implemented) or I must developed the basic system project that was implemented on this board!?... 

Best Regards 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Hi,

If you use Base System Builder(BSB), the base system of SP3E500E starter kit will be able to create easily.

BSB can build a system interactively by wizard. Some documents are following URL.

http://www.xilinx.com/support/techsup/tutorials/edk_tutorials.htm

The fundamental way of using BSB is describing in Chapter 2 of EDK Concepts, Tools, and Techniques Guide.

Board Vendor: Xilinx, Board name: Spartan-3E Starter board are chosen in Wizard, and if the Next button is

pushed and the Generate button is finally pushed, the project of a basic system will be generated.

Best Regards,

Yoshio Kashiwagi - Nissin Systems

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer silva83
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks for your informations!! :)

I have one board with a processor core (MicroBlaze). This board has some peripherals and the company made it join a basic system project... Well, my question is: I could build a new project on this FPGA (the board already was implemented) or I must developed the basic system project that was implemented on this board!?... 

Best Regards 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Hi,

It is difficult to move EDK8.1 project to EDK10.1, and, probably, it should create the project for custom-made

hardware by EDK10.1. It depends for difficulty on peripheral one mounted in your board.

The right approach is the step of creating a XBD file. Since the XBD file for some Xilinx boards is in the directory

of %XILINX_EDK%/board/Xilinx/boards, it is making the XBD file for your boards for them to reference.

If this XBD file is created, the project for your boards can be generated on BSB.

Or if a new project is not created frequently, there is also the step of moving to EDK10.1 from EDK8.1 project

in the following procedures.

1. The project of Spartan-3E starter kit is created by BSB with the component similar to your board.
  It creates with the minimum component of UARTLITE, DDR, BRAM, and Microblaze.

2. It refers to your data/system.ucf of EDK8.1, and pin assignment of the data/system.ucf file of generated

EDK10.1 is changed into your boards.

3. The configuration of DDR_SDRAM is changed according to the memory of your board on EDK10.1.

4. In order to test DDR memory, an application project is created and performed on EDK10.1.

5. Other IP is added if needed and it tests by software.

Best Regards,

0 Kudos
Observer silva83
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi,

Yes, I already try to move from EDK8.1 project to EDK10.1, and I had some problems:

(a) On the moment I openned the EDK8.1 project, the platform automatically asked me if I would update some files... I said yes, and aparently it was everthing ok. But, it wasn't everthing ok:

(a1) I must put the old version linux recipient on new EDK10.1 sub-directory. So, I have affraid others problems will appear too!!! :(

Remembering what you said, your opinnion is that I should create the project for custom-made hardware by EDK10.1... This is, I copy all features of old project and create a new project with that features!?

I have others questions for you (If you could help me, off course :) ):

(a) Why linux platform is used for microblaze!... I don't undertand yet, Why is named Linux!?...

(b) The second question is: The User Guides I read, I saw that all times is necessary use JTAG cable to download features to FPGA. I could use other interface, per example USB a to USB b cable!?...

Thanks for your help,

Best regards

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Hi, 

Difference between EDK8.1 and EDK10.1 is big and it import the project of EDK8.1 by EDK10.1,
probably, bitstream is ungenerable and will become an error.
Since it converts to EDK10.1, there is almost no file which can be used EDK10.1 by the file contained
in EDK8.1 project. Reusable information is only pin assignment of a system.ucf file.

The features of EDK10.1 are PLB_V46 bus, integration of Multiport Memory Controller, etc., and EDK8.1
conventional project cannot be automatically changed into the new feature. It will be better to newly
create EDK10.1 project from zero, in order to use the new feature of these EDK10.1.
If the new feature of EDK10.1 is not used, I think it better to use EDK8.1 as it is.

(a) Why linux platform is used for microblaze!... I don't undertand yet, Why is named Linux!?...
Are you using EDK on a Linux host?

(b) The second question is: The User Guides I read, I saw that all times is necessary use JTAG cable...
Although there is a feature which can download a bitstream from USB in Spartan-3E StarterKit, the feature
as a JTAG cable that the same logic is implemented in the StarterKit board. In order to directly connection

by USB, equivalent logic is needed for your board.

Or are you using the JTAG cable of parallel port connection?
http://www.xilinx.com/products/devkits/HW-PC4.htm

There is also a USB connection type of JTAG cables.
http://www.xilinx.com/products/devkits/HW-USB-G.htm
http://www.xilinx.com/products/devkits/HW-USB-II-G.htm

Best Regards,

0 Kudos
Observer silva83
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi,

I agree with you, when you said it is better use EDK8.1 than EDK10.1. But, I'm one question for you: After I open EDK10.1 and changes automatically done, I see on IP Catalog on Local Processor Bus (LPB): IP Version 1.20.a and IP Type plb_v46. Then, the changed is done!?...

If I use EDK8.1 to do projects, I don't find in web EDK8.1 program... Can you give me an ligth to find this program!?.... :)

I am using EDK, but my boss said me to implement linux solution (kernel 2.6) with MMU on MicroBlase!!! What is mean!?... For me is important understant this point!?...

JTAG question:

I don't have yet an USB to JTAG Adapter, and I am trying to use one USBa to USBb adapter, but I don't get program processor. My question is: Can I use USBa to USBb to do it!?...

Best regards

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Hi,

EDK8.1 is not downloadable although ISE8.1 webpack is downloadable from xilinx.
Moreover, since Microblaze(Ver.4?) of EDK8.1 does not support MMU, in order to support
MMU Linux by Microblaze(Ver.7 or Ver.7.1), it is necessary to use EDK10.1, and you also

have to notice a licence about usage of Microblaze.

Experience of EDK may be necessity although the shift to EDK10.1 from EDK8.1 is not
impossible as previous mail. The work which imports EDK8.1 project to EDK10.1 and removes
all errors is required.

MMU Linux for Microblaze is in the following URL.
http://developer.petalogix.com/wiki/MicroBlazeMMU#PetaLinux2.6.20withMMUsupport

However, for generating the FPGA logic for MMU Linux by the capacity of the resource of

Spartan-3E500 device your company made board, it may be insufficient.

Is the hardware which you use the combination of the following A and B?
A. Spartan-3E Starter Kit
B. Your company made (peripheral) board

If the board of B is used without the board of A, probably a JTAG cable is required.
If A and B are connected by the extended connector, FPGA bitstream will be downloadable
with a USB cable to Spartan-3E mounted in A.

Best Regards,

0 Kudos
Observer silva83
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi,

Yes, the hardware I use is the combination of the Spartan-3E Starter Kit and peripheral board, but it was other company that maid the board with all devices... I only use it!

Thanks

0 Kudos
Observer silva83
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi,

Another thing:

What a difference between MMU Linux for MicroBlaze you give me (http://developer.petalogix.com/wiki/MicroBlazeMMU#PetaLinux2.6.20withMMUsupport) and the Linux offered by EDK (\EDK\sw\ThirdParty\bsp\linux_2_6_v1_01_a, for example)!?...

Thanks,

Best Regards

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Hi,

PetaLinux2.6.20withMMUsupport is support only Microblaze v7 or v7.1.

On the other hand, Microblaze Linux does not support EDK now but only the Linux of PowerPC405 (Virtex-4 FX) is support.

Best Regards,

0 Kudos
Observer silva83
Observer

Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks for your help... You gave some help...

I think you can give me some help in the future. You can give me your e-mail address, for I contact you more easily!?...

Best regards

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Hi,

My E-Mail address is kashiwagi(a)co-nss.co.jp

0 Kudos