05-04-2009 11:37 AM
I am purchasing a several new computers, and they will be running EDK and XPS. I am wanting to maximize my performance now (of course), but I also want to be prepared for the improvements coming down the pipe in both of those packages... are there any developers or program managers that are aware of the development plan for either of these packages going forward? I would love to make use of multi-core machines and the latest 64-bit operating systems (Vista/Win7), but I am unsure of the support in the future.
How would you advise me? which hardware is appropriate and why (not specifically, just which class)? which OS and why?
Thank you in advance.
05-04-2009 02:16 PM - edited 05-04-2009 02:16 PM
05-04-2009 11:44 PM
Here are my suggestions:
1. Never use the latest OS for development
Otherwise, you'll run into stability and compatibility issues.
2. If possible, use Linux for very large designs
Because Linux has a better memory management
3. Prepare both Windows and Linux
To prevent tools' bug which only occurs on one particular OS
This can be suitable for most small developing groups:
- One or several Linux servers for high performance, large RAM volume and multipul users usage.
- Users use Windows XP SP2 as their workstation desktop. VNC to Linux.