cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

EDK installer does not run.

I'm trying to install EDK 10.1 on a machine running Vista 64 Ultimate.  ISE and Chipscope have installed.  When I try to run the EDK setup.exe, nothing happens.  Vista's UAC is disabled.  I've tried running setup as Administrator.  I've also tried running setup in Windows XP SP2 compatability mode.  There is no additional information available in the Windows Event log, nor anywhere in the c:\Xilinx directory.

I'm interested to see if anyone has had a similar problem, and if a workaround exists.

PS - I just checked XilinxUpdate and found there are service packs for ISE and Chipscope. I'm downloading those now.  Hopefully that will allow the EDK to install.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Some months ago I tried to install EDK 10.1 (without SP) on a 64 bit Windows XP. Same happend when running setup.exe: nothing :-) I figured out that EDK does not support a 64 bit Windows. But I guess it should be feasible to display a tiny message box, when setup.exe encounters a problem!?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hello,

You can check for the Supported OS here for EDK.

http://www.xilinx.com/ise/embedded_design_prod/platform_studio.htm

HTH

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

It is possible to install EDK on a 64 bit Vista machine. The problem with the EDK setup.exe is that it tries to start a setup.exe in edk\bin\nt64 directory that does not exsist. Run the setup.exe in edk\bin\nt insted. Note that XPS only works with the 32bit version of ISE. 
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

I got EDK 10.1 to install on XP x64 by running the setup in edk\bin\nt.

However, when I try to run EDK, I get cygwin errors:

I see multiple uname.exe processes in Windows Task Manager which sucks up nearly all available memory and eventually a uname.exe - Application Error popup: The application failed to initialize properly (0xc000012d). Click OK to terminate the application.

I click OK and all the uname.exe processes go away and the XPS gui comes up.

If I launch EDK from within ISE (my project has a microblaze processor as part of a complete FPGA build), the same thing happens but I see the the following text in the ISE console:

Started : "XPS to edit system.xmp".

Xilinx Platform Studio
Xilinx EDK 10.1.03 Build EDK_K_SP3.6
Copyright (c) 1995-2008 Xilinx, Inc.  All rights reserved.

Xilinx EDK detected Cygwin installation v on your machine.
But, this Cygwin (c:\\Xilinx10.1\\EDK\\cygwin\\bin) cannot be used to run Xilinx EDK tools.
Xilinx EDK tools require a Cygwin installation that is atleast as new as v1.5.17(0.129/4/2).
Please upgrade to a newer version of Cygwin and try again.

To override local Cygwin installation and use EDK's Cygwin
instead, please use 'xbash -override' from command prompt.
To undo this 'override' operation, you may use 'xbash -undo'.
For details, please use 'xbash -help'.

XPS% Evaluating file C:\mike_s_dev\UDC3\trunk\FPGA_save\system.setprop.tcl
No changes to be saved in MSS file
No changes to be saved in XMP file
No changes to be saved in MSS file
No changes to be saved in XMP file

Xilinx Platform Studio
Xilinx EDK 10.1.03 Build EDK_K_SP3.6
Copyright (c) 1995-2008 Xilinx, Inc.  All rights reserved.

Xilinx EDK detected Cygwin installation v on your machine.
But, this Cygwin (c:\\Xilinx10.1\\EDK\\cygwin\\bin) cannot be used to run Xilinx EDK tools.
Xilinx EDK tools require a Cygwin installation that is atleast as new as v1.5.17(0.129/4/2).
Please upgrade to a newer version of Cygwin and try again.

To override local Cygwin installation and use EDK's Cygwin
instead, please use 'xbash -override' from command prompt.
To undo this 'override' operation, you may use 'xbash -undo'.
For details, please use 'xbash -help'.

Launching XPS GUI...

Did you actually get EDK to run or just install?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

There seems to be a problem with your cygwin installation. uname.exe reports your cygwin version, try to run it from the dos command prompt. Do you get anything like "CYGWIN_NT-6.0-WOW64" the cygwin application works and the problem is somewhere else. There is possible to override your locally installed cygwin and use the one provided with the EDK instead, this should work fine and you will probably not notice any differences.  I have been using EDK on my x64 machine for half a year now but I have found a problem. XMD can't connect to a local Xilinx USB programmer. I used another computer as server for my Xilinx programmer and connected the debugger over TCP/IP and that worked fine for me.

Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

We decided we want to move to ISE 11.

I uninstalled ISE 10 and did a clean install of ISE 11. I had to install from bin\nt to install EDK as with 10.

I ran XPS once and it came up fine with some messages about the registry. I then closed it and started ISE 32 bit which converted my project to ISE 11 format but then choked when trying to run XPS for the processor.

Now XPS will no longer run without the same cygwin errors as seen with ISE 10.

I have no idea why it is working for you. I am running XP Pro x64, Version 2003, Service Pack 2.

0 Kudos