UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer ramonal
Observer

ERROR:impact:2204

Jump to solution

I have the board  Virtex 4 ML403 and tried to download a bitstream. I always get that problem. I read to change the "assignment" file from   -p 3 (automatically) ti -p 1, but that isn't working I alsways get the message : Can only assign file to device 1.

If anyone have an idea, I would be very grateful,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar pumaju1808
Scholar

Re: ERROR:impact:2204

Jump to solution

hi,

the right number for ML403 is 3 so your download.cmd is fine

Have you tried open iMPACT from Start Menu -> Xilinx ISE -> Accesories -> iMPACT ???

and check if you can detect automatically the jtag chain, if you can do this, you can program your FPGA assigning the download.bit file that is in the Implementation directory of your EDK project

Regards

0 Kudos
6 Replies

Jump to solution

Hello.

If you can elaborate your problem a bit like what are you trying to do, what version are you using, what exactly is the error, etc, etc... it will be highly helpful.

Best of luck.
--
Unlimited in my Limits.
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Do NOT modify the download.cmd file. ML403 is a demo board, BSB knows which location the FPGA is in the JTAG chain.

-XF

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer ramonal
Observer

Jump to solution

hi!

That is the exact error message.

ERROR:iMPACT:2204 - Can only assign file to device 1.
make: *** [download] Error 1

I am using the ML403 evalution boead with the Virtex 4 FX 12LC and I tried to implement the mandelbrot tutorial. After generating the bitstream I tried to download it! In the tutorial it is EDK10.1 used but I have the version 11.1.

Here you can see the download.cmd:

setMode -bscan
setCable -p auto
identify
assignfile -p 3 -file implementation/download.bit
program -p 3
quit

I also tried to change the JTAG chain but I got the same ERROR message. At the moment I can't fix the problem and download the bitstream so I am very grateful for each response.

Thanks, Ramona

0 Kudos
Scholar pumaju1808
Scholar

Jump to solution

hi,

the right number for ML403 is 3 so your download.cmd is fine

Have you tried open iMPACT from Start Menu -> Xilinx ISE -> Accesories -> iMPACT ???

and check if you can detect automatically the jtag chain, if you can do this, you can program your FPGA assigning the download.bit file that is in the Implementation directory of your EDK project

Regards

0 Kudos
Observer ramonal
Observer

Jump to solution

Hey

Thank you very much, but I can't open impact because I don't have an ipf file (or I can't find it)

But I tried to change again the JTAG chain into one and now it was successful.

If you also know, how to generate a new output clock with the clock generator in "EDK11.1" please let me know, I only can modify the existing clocks and I need another output-clock for a tft monitor.

Thanks again 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi Ramonal,

Iam also facing the same problem while doing the FPGA in-the-loop verification using Xilinx Spartan-6 Board. I encounter the problem at the end of the verification process. Connection to the board is OK, but still the error pop-ups at the end.

Can you share if you aready solved the problem? 

I posted in seperate thread: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Design-Tools-Others/FPGA-in-the-loop-ERROR-quot-iMPACT-2204-Can-only-assign-file-to/m-p/265046

0 Kudos