UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Participant alejandrocristo
Participant

Easy question about IP port communications

Jump to solution

Hello everybody,

I have a simple doubt that I hope you can clear for me. I have two custom peripherals (IP1 and IP2) connected to the PLB bus. IP1 has an output out1 (1 bit), and IP2 has an input in1 (1bit).

Using the EDK, I connect the IP1 output port to the IP2 input port, and everything works as expected.

But how is really this communication carried out? Is there a direct link from IP to IP? Or is the PLB bus used to make the communication from port to port??

What I would like to do later is to connect my custom IP to a MPMC port directly, assigning input/ouputs signals, just like in the previous example. But I am afraid that doing that I am using the PLB bus (and I do not want to use it) instead of having a direct communication...

Thanks in advance!

Alejandro Cristo
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Easy question about IP port communications

Jump to solution

The PLB is only used when you set up an entire bus interface.  So for a single input to a single output port, it is a direct connection.

For a bus connection you would have to use something like:

BUS_INTERFACE SPLB0 = mb_plb

For the MPMC connection, you will have to use a port bus type currently provided by MPMC.  At this time, you can use any of the interfaces mentioned on page 131 of the data sheet (http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/mpmc.pdf)

Personality Interface Modules

The Personality Interface Module (PIM) architecture comprises the following interfaces:

Xilinx CacheLink PIM

Soft Direct Memory Access Controller PIM for LocalLink Interfaces

Processor Local Bus Version 4.6 PIM

PowerPC 440 Memory Controller PIM

Video Frame Buffer Controller PIM

• MCB PIM

Native Port Interface PIM

You will probably want to use the Native Port Interface for a custom design which is explained further on page 184.  If you use this interface you will have to add the same bus ports to comprise this bus structure on your own custom core

2 Replies
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

The PLB is only used when you set up an entire bus interface.  So for a single input to a single output port, it is a direct connection.

For a bus connection you would have to use something like:

BUS_INTERFACE SPLB0 = mb_plb

For the MPMC connection, you will have to use a port bus type currently provided by MPMC.  At this time, you can use any of the interfaces mentioned on page 131 of the data sheet (http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ip_documentation/mpmc.pdf)

Personality Interface Modules

The Personality Interface Module (PIM) architecture comprises the following interfaces:

Xilinx CacheLink PIM

Soft Direct Memory Access Controller PIM for LocalLink Interfaces

Processor Local Bus Version 4.6 PIM

PowerPC 440 Memory Controller PIM

Video Frame Buffer Controller PIM

• MCB PIM

Native Port Interface PIM

You will probably want to use the Native Port Interface for a custom design which is explained further on page 184.  If you use this interface you will have to add the same bus ports to comprise this bus structure on your own custom core

Participant alejandrocristo
Participant

Jump to solution

Thanks for your answer dcherry, now it is clear for me.

Anyway, I am trying to connect my custom IP to the MPMC by using direct communication ports, but I need some help because it is still not working. I have created a new post, because the topic would be quite different to the one proposed in the title of this post, so if you can read it and help me I would be eternally grateful... :)

http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/EDK-and-Platform-Studio/Connecting-Custom-IP-to-MPMC-using-communication-ports/td-p/120372

Thank you very much!

Alejandro Cristo
0 Kudos