cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
edadangtri
Contributor
Contributor

FTDI FT2232H

I have designed a circuit board with a Zynq and FTDI's FT2232H so that I can do JTAG and Serial communications over USB.  However, Vivado does not recognize the FT2232.  This works with a Digilent eval board (Cora Z7).  Am I doing something wrong or does Vivado only work with certain vendors...such as Digilent?

Thanks,

Dan

0 Kudos
4 Replies
bruce_karaffa
Scholar
Scholar

Are you sure you are setting the chip up properly for JTAG as described in FTDI's  Application Note AN_108 and using the proper driver described in Application Note AN_110 Programmers Guide for High Speed FTCJTAG DLL?

u4223374
Advisor
Advisor

@edadangtri The FT2232 needs specific EEPROM data loaded (into an external EEPROM, I think - it doesn't have one internally) before it'll be recognised by the Xilinx tools. The EEPROM content is not publicly available, and when people try to clone it from the Digilent boards we tend to get questions posted here along the lines of "help, I wiped my development board EEPROM and now it doesn't work either!".

The preferred option is to use the Digilent JTAG-SMT2, which gets soldered down to the board and provides USB-JTAG functionality (and appropriate level shifting, protection, etc).

edadangtri
Contributor
Contributor

I thought that I would just need to program the FT2232H using the FT_PROG utility?  Also, that tool only allows me to edit certain things.  I cannot edit the eeprom contents directly.  Again, my goal is to be able to to JTAG and Serial communication over USB.

Also, I only want to use this with Vivado.  Do I still need a driver?

0 Kudos
edadangtri
Contributor
Contributor

I didn't know about this option.  Thanks.  However, does this mean that my hardware will only work if I have "magic" numbers programmed into the eeprom that are recognized by Xilinx?

0 Kudos