UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

Failure in sdk - Unable to read FPGA Bitstream

Hello,

I am using sdk 2014.4, with ARTIX-7 evaluation board.

I am using bist sdk (from Xlinx site) source code.

I've created new hw specification from hdf file, which created 2 files :

system_wrapper.bit

system_wrapper.mmi

I then try to "program FPGA", and I get the following failure:

10:00:12 ERROR : FPGA Configuration failed.Failed to download the bit file

Unable to read FPGA Bitstream 'D:/WB_MCU/testing/xxx/download.bit'.
Check if the file exists and is valid.

Why is it trying to download non-existent file (download.bit).

Is it some Bug ?

Anothing thing, does the hw specification project generates .bit and .mmi automatically by using only .sdf file, without any other files whatsoever ?

Regards,

Ran 

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Failure in sdk - Unable to read FPGA Bitstream

Hi Ran,

How did you generate the bit file? 

Regards

Sikta

Explorer
Explorer

Hi,

I have created new hw specification project using the .hdf file.

As far as I understand from this process the .bit files are created by the HW specification project, using the .hdf , Is this assumption Right ?

If not - I'm probably doing something wrong, but I don't yet understand what is wrong here...

I have installed now 2015.1, but now I get another failure....

Now it generated download.bit automatically, but then it gives an error 

"...no permssion ...can't delete c:\..appData\loacl\Temp\...." 

I tried to change the folder permission, but no help........

Am I the first one that face these failures  with 2014.4 , and 2015.1 ?

Regards,

Ran

0 Kudos
Scholar stephenm
Scholar

Did you generate the bitstream before you export to SDK?
Is there a bit file in the hardware platform folder in your SDK project?
Explorer
Explorer

No, as far as I undertsnad...

I took the hdf put it in new folder, and started everthing using the hdf only as input.

0 Kudos

Hi @ransh,

If you have not processed generate bitstream on hardware side of the design and used the hdf exported into new directory, I guess then it wont get the bitstream.

Please check if bitstream is generated , export to SDK (with include bitstream) this would create hardware platform including .hdf, mmi and .bit. Use the hdf alone if you want to create in a new directory and this should populate the actual bitstream in the Program FPGA fields.. 

If you can please share hdf file.

Regards

Praveen

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
Explorer
Explorer

Hi,

hdf is attached here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B22GsWueReZTOUFZRUdQVFhXVm8/view?usp=sharing

Sorry, I didn't understand what you mean.

I moved the hdf to new folder, and after creating the hw projects is automatically generated .bit and .mmi. 

What is wrong doing in this process ?

Thank you!

Ran

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Hi,

Any idea what is wrong in the process described in last message ? Any idea why doenload.bit is not found or created ?

Is it wrong doing when starting scratch hw project from hdf only ?

Thank you,

Ran

0 Kudos

Hi,

The procedure of creating standalone SDK project from HDF file is fine. I could see the error and the reason is hardware server connection issue as shown below.

You could resolve this by opting for XMD i.e. Xilinx Tools > XMD Console to connect. Then use the command to download bitstream 

fpga -f  <directory_path>\<bitstream_name>.bit 

Regards

Praveen

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

hw_server_issue.jpg
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi Praveen,

I have already returned to 2014.4, and according to the suggested solution for 2015.1, I think I will stay with 2014.4

I would just like to ask about 2014.4: With 2014.4 it tries to download download.bit (which does not exist, and is not created during the "program fpga" process), although the "Progfram  fpga" window shows another existing file (which does exist). Should it be best solved by one time manually renaming system.bit  to download.bit.

Is this the valid solution for the issue I get with 2014.4 ?

Thank you,

Ran

0 Kudos

Hi,

When you click on Xilinx Tools > Program FPGA in SDK, you will see three fields

1. Bitstream:

2. BMM file:

3. ELF file to initialize the block ram:

You will see auto populated fields with system_wrapper.bit, system_wrapper_bd.bmm, and bootloop. Prior to programming the bit file on to FPGA, the tool runs data2Mem, which initializes the system.bit file with the bootloop or specific elf if choosen based on system_bd.bmm. This process generates download.bit and is used to program FPGA which should work.  

I tested your hdf at my end in 2014.4 which generates download.bit sucessfully and could program FPGA from XMD as mentioned in previous reply. You can use system.bit file which should be available in SDK hardware platform folder to program FPGA and dont have to rename system.bit.

Regards

Praveen

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hi,

Thank you for the detailed answer !

But I still probably miss understand something...

Should it work in 2014.4 without the xmd tool too ? Why does it fails when I try to do a simple "program fpga" and claim that there is no "download.bit" ? I did exactly the same sequence you mentioned (from "program fpga" windows with auto fill all files -> program & without using xmd tool). Is there something wrong when doing it from windows 7 ?

Thank you for the time and patient,

Ran

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hello,

I've tested it again.

SDK 2014.4 does not generate download.bit in my development host (windows 7).

Does anyone have any idea what's wrong ?

Regards,

Ran

0 Kudos

Hi,

Have you solved the problem yet? I'm using sdk 2014.2 and I've encountered the same problem as yours. I probably have figured out whats going on here.

Are you using the ARTIX-7 xc7a35t FPGA? There's no download.bit file generated in the hw_platform fold when I targeted the xc7a35t series. I try some other devices and the problem doesn't exist. Before i clicked on Xilinx Tools > Program FPGA there's no download.bit in the fold either but after i did the file was immediately generated. I tried a few other devices randomly and it seems the problem is only present with xc7a35t series. I am not sure whether this is a bug in these editions. If that's the same situation with you please let me know.

0 Kudos
Scholar stephenm
Scholar

If you are using 2014.2, and targeting the a35t device, then this is a known issue.
http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/61128.html

FYI, when you export to SDK from Vivado, this creates a hdf file. So depending on when you export; with bitstream or not. If with a bitstream. This should export the bit and MMI/BMM file. These files are used in SDK in program fpga. Here updatemem is used to create the download.bit (or data2mem is used prior to 2014.4). If targeting this device in 2014.2, then you will see the issue seen in the AR above.
0 Kudos