Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Generate bitsteram file in ISE13 with SDK program file

Hi all,

I watched film how to integrating EDK and ISE project in Project Navigator (12.x) and genetare bitstream. Great movie.The was option to update bitsteram with processor data. But how it's working in ISE 13, where I have to export design to SDK? How can I genertate bitstream file with program from SDK? Where can I find a tutorial to this?

Kind regard

Marek. 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Voyager
Voyager

watched film how to integrating EDK and ISE project in Project Navigator (12.x) and genetare bitstream. Great movie.The was option to update bitsteram with processor data. But how it's working in ISE 13, where I have to export design to SDK? How can I genertate bitstream file with program from SDK? Where can I find a tutorial to this?

You should start here www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/.../edk_ctt.pdf

After generating the bitstream in EDK for the bsb system you should export your hardware design to SDK.

Then..

1. Open SDK by selecting Start > Programs > Xilinx ISE Design Suite > EDK > Xilinx
  Software Development Kit.

2. When SDK opens, it prompts you to create a workspace. This is the folder in which
  your software projects are stored. For this example, create a new workspace called
 SDK_Workspace.
Caution! Make sure the path name does not include spaces.

3. SDK opens to the Welcome screen. We won’t spend a lot of time looking at this right
    now. You can re-open it at any time by selecting Help > Welcome.

4. Select File > New > Xilinx C Project.

Because you have not yet specified a hardware platform in SDK, before the New
Hardware Project dialog opens, SDK displays a dialog box explaining that you must
import a hardware platform.

5. Click Specify.

6. Type the project name hw_platform_0 and use the default location.

7. In the Target Hardware Specification field, select the system.xml file in the <project
  home>\system\SDK\SDK_Export\hw folder of your project.

8.New Hardware Project Window
Click Finish.
SDK creates the hardware platform and opens the New Xilinx C Project window.

9.Select the “Hello World” Sample Project Template. The Project name fills in
automatically with hello_world_0.

10. For the project location, make sure that the Use default location check box is selected
and click Next.

11. Select the Create a new Board Support Package project option and leave the default
options as they are set.

12. Click Finish.
The hello_world_0 sample application builds automatically, producing an ELF file
suitable for downloading onto the target hardware.

Because this is an FPGA, you must configure it with a bitstream that loads a design into the
FPGA. In this case, the design is an embedded processor system.

1.In SDK, select Xilinx Tools > Program FPGA.
The bitstream (BIT) and block memory map (BMM) files are automatically populated
for you.

2.Click Program. When the Programming completes, your FPGA is configured with
your design.
At this point, you have downloaded the bitstream to the FPGA and initialized the
microprocessor with a single-instruction “branch-to-itself” program called
“bootloop.”Bootloop keeps the processor in a known state while it waits for another
program to be downloaded to run or be debugged.

3.In the Project Explorer, under hello_world_0 > Binaries, right-click
hello_world_0.elf and select Debug As > Launch on Hardware.
The executable is downloaded to the hardware where specified in the linker script.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Hi, 

Thanks for tutorial, it's very useful! 

Now I have new problem. I want create design in ISE with vhdl code. Additionaly I want put there component microblaze with uart and lcd driver . So, I created in XPS design, I added GPIO, which are responsible for comunicate between vhdl code and microblaze, and then I generate netlist. Then I created ISE disign and generate TOP HDL source. When I'm connecting microblaze GPIO with signals from vhdl code it's not working. I can create bitstream but after I have programed the processor it's not running. Do you now why?

Kind regard

Marek 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

Hi,

I almost resolved my problem. I did export program to SDK from XPS, I didn't should do it. I should do it in ISE by option "Export Hardware Design to SDK with Bitstream".

But... Now I got new problem. When I'm programming board in SDK by option "Program FPGA", board generates short, because all supply fall down. I checked bit file system.bit and download by iMPACT and it's working fine. I think the is a problem with edkBmmFile_bd.bmm file generated forma XPS. 

Kind regard

Marek 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Hey 

I am doing project with ise 14.4 I added a microblaze processor I can't generated bitsream with ise 14.4 when I run the xsdk in the hardware I don't have benerate bitsream only generate netlist. More when I export to use xsdk the box Include bitsream and BMM file did'nt check. The tutorial found on google treat previous version so the presentation is unlike. 

DO you have an idea ? 

hope.jpg
0 Kudos