cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

How can I get EDK to load user-created XBD file

Jump to solution
I have added the boards directory to the search path. I have put the XBD file in the boards directory. EDK is just not loading it.

As I test, I copied one of the existing board files to a directory parallel to itself, and changed the long description. (I removed all spaces from the directory name.)

EDK couldn't find that XBD file either.

Ack!
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
edk_dingle
Observer
Observer
It does not appear that you are following the correct naming structure. The directory name for the board must be the same as the name of the board itself. In the example you sent, you are using "USB_Proto" as the name of the directory but then you are putting an xbd file in this directory that is not called USB_Proto_v2_2_0.xbd... I am assuming the name of the xbd is still Xilinx_Spartan3E_RevC_v2_2_0.xbd.

So, for example, if you created an xbd file and named it MY_XBD_FILE_v2_2_0.xbd (note that the 'v2_2_0' portion is REQUIRED) then your directory structure will have to look like this:

boards\MY_XBD_FILE\data

This is described in more detail in the Platform Specification Format Reference Manuaul (psf_rm.pdf) in the section titled "XBD Load Path"

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
edk_dingle
Observer
Observer
First, you need to set the directory to be the same, for example:

\Xilinx\101\EDK\board\Mine\boards\Xilinx_ML401\data

The new directory is called "Mine". It sounds like you have already done this step. Next, in the Xilinx designed xbd files, there is an attribute called "VENDOR". For example, int he ML401 board xbd file you will see:

# -------------------------------------------------------------
# Copyright(C) 2004 by Xilinx, Inc. All rights reserved. --
# --
# This copyright notice must be retained as part --
# of this text at all times. --
# -------------------------------------------------------------

ATTRIBUTE VENDOR = Xilinx

If you change the Vendor to the name of your new directory it should be picked up in the bsb gui. For my example, I changed this value to "Mine" and checked this in the 10.1 toolset.
Message Edited by edk_dingle on 05-15-2008 10:34 AM
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
"Should be" is the operative word. It is not.

I took the file from here:
C:\Xilinx91i\EDK\board\Xilinx\boards\Xilinx_Spartan3E_RevC

Changed the vendor attribute (like you said), and copied it to here:
C:\Xilinx91i\EDK\board\Custom\boards\USB_Proto\data\

EDK/BSB would not find it.

I tried another directory:
C:\Xilinx91i\user\MyRepository\boards\USB_Proto\data, and added C:\Xilinx91i\user to the library search path (after adding pcores so the wizard would accept the directory.)

Nothing. Absolutely nothing. I can change the long description in an existing file, and the new text shows up in BSB. Anything else (even copying a file and re-naming bits in the XBS) never shows up.

I not normally this terse; it's just that I have been trying to add a board file since Monday, and the stony silence from the tool, and all normal support avenues is getting to me. (Truth is, I've been trying for two weeks to get "hello world" to work; I was NOT expecting this steep of a learning curve.)
0 Kudos
edk_dingle
Observer
Observer
It does not appear that you are following the correct naming structure. The directory name for the board must be the same as the name of the board itself. In the example you sent, you are using "USB_Proto" as the name of the directory but then you are putting an xbd file in this directory that is not called USB_Proto_v2_2_0.xbd... I am assuming the name of the xbd is still Xilinx_Spartan3E_RevC_v2_2_0.xbd.

So, for example, if you created an xbd file and named it MY_XBD_FILE_v2_2_0.xbd (note that the 'v2_2_0' portion is REQUIRED) then your directory structure will have to look like this:

boards\MY_XBD_FILE\data

This is described in more detail in the Platform Specification Format Reference Manuaul (psf_rm.pdf) in the section titled "XBD Load Path"

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
That worked! Is the v2_2_0 a fixed string, or can I put revision data there?

What is totally odd is that after I fixed the one, all the rest of my attempts showed up as well. Those copies I made (mentioned above) that were not showing up magically appeared.

Thanks, and I'm off to attempt "hello world".

Gary.
0 Kudos
edk_dingle
Observer
Observer
according to psf_rm.pdf, you will have to use "v2_2_0". I am not sure the reasoning behind this, but I think it needs to have this value at the end of the naming, so my guess is that you will have to add your version before this. You can always play around with the naming I guess, but not sure what the results will be...
0 Kudos