cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
arash9k
Adventurer
Adventurer

How can I increase the default size of the SRAM on the VC707 eval board, from 128MB to 1GB, in XPS?

Jump to solution

Hi,

When I open a new project in ISE project navigator and then create a new soft processor, the soft processor comes with a default 128MB RAM but the VC707 eval board has a 1GB external RAM on it. How can I increase this to max (1GB)? I am doing the following:

1. Open ISE14.4 and create a new project, choose VC707 as the eval board, leave everything else as default.

2. Click on create new source and choose Embedded Processor and name the file. XPS will open automatically.

3. Say yes to the BSB wizard then press OK.

4. Leave everything as default in page 1.

5. Change Local Memory Size in page 2 to 128K, leave everything else as default and click finish.

6.  Go to the addresses tab in the system assembly view and change base address to 0x80000000, then change size to 1G. High address will automatically change.

7. Close XPS and go back to ISE and "Generate top HDL Source".

8. "Generate Programming File"

9. Click on embedded processor (.xmp) and "Export Hardware Design to SDK with Bitstream" but choose option not to open SDK just yet (by right clicking and options) 10. Close ISE 11. Open SDK 12. Choose a workspace 13. NEW -> Application Project 14.  Create new HW platform all defaults but choose xml generated in step 9 15.  All default then choose C project and Hello World 16. Program FPGA (All fine) 17. Righ click elf file then debug as -> launch on HW 18. MEMORY ERROR!!

Using the XMD when I try to write to the DDR memory say 0x80000000, I don't get an error message but when I read the value hasn’t changed so obviously write was not successful. Also, in SDK when I edit the lscript.ld file and select the internal MB RAM for all categories so that my code is run on the internal memory everything is fine until I try to read/write into the external memory.

Also, I know there is nothing wrong with my hardware because I can run Xilinx's BIST on my board with no problems and they have the external RAM set to 1GB.

I would really appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Arash

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
amandaw
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Compare the hardware MHS of the BIST to yours and you'll be able to see the differences and hopefully what you need to change.  You can also drill down into the SDK project area to find the BIST system.xml and linker scripts to see the differences there as well.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
amandaw
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Compare the hardware MHS of the BIST to yours and you'll be able to see the differences and hopefully what you need to change.  You can also drill down into the SDK project area to find the BIST system.xml and linker scripts to see the differences there as well.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos