UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer andrewsi
Observer

How do you debug an app that was bootloaded into RAM from flash (via SREC)?

Jump to solution

OK, one more question.

Assume that I am writing an app that is too large to fit into BRAM.  The app can be successfully compiled, converted to SREC, and then stored in Flash.  The linker script is modified to indicate that the app will run from external RAM. The sample SDK bootloader works perfectly, and loads the SREC image into RAM and starts execution. (Can see output on the console.)

Now - how the heck do I get the GDB debugger to connect to the app in RAM once it's running?  It's not feasible to get the app working perfectly without a debugger, but I'm not sure how to skip over the bootloader (which is the "running app" from Eclipse's point of view) and start debugging once it jumps to my app.

Thanks-

Andy

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Observer andrewsi
Observer

Re: How do you debug an app that was bootloaded into RAM from flash (via SREC)?

Jump to solution
Think I answered my own question (again.) :-) I don't know why I didn't think of this initially, but it's not necessary to go through the SREC bootloader to get the application into PSRAM for debugging. As long as the linker script is set up properly, you can launch and debug the app directly. The bootloader will become useful later when the app is ready to deploy, then it can just be stored in flash in SREC form.
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Observer andrewsi
Observer

Re: How do you debug an app that was bootloaded into RAM from flash (via SREC)?

Jump to solution
Think I answered my own question (again.) :-) I don't know why I didn't think of this initially, but it's not necessary to go through the SREC bootloader to get the application into PSRAM for debugging. As long as the linker script is set up properly, you can launch and debug the app directly. The bootloader will become useful later when the app is ready to deploy, then it can just be stored in flash in SREC form.
0 Kudos