cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

How to compile loadable linux driver module using Xilinx SDK?

Hi

Is it possible to compile loadable linux driver modules using Xilinx SDK?  I've been trying to build a simple 'hello world' driver and I am falling at the first hurdle and struggling to set up the include path properly.

My source file is:

// example hello world driver

#if defined(CONFIG_SMP)
   #define __SMP__
#endif

#if defined(CONFIG_MODVERSIONS)
   #define MODVERSIONS
   #include <linux/modversions.h>
#endif

#include <linux/module.h>    /* Needed by all modules */
#include <linux/kernel.h>    /* Needed for KERN_INFO */
#include <linux/init.h>        /* Needed for the macros */

static int __init helloworld_init(void)
{
    printk(KERN_INFO "Hello, world\n");
    return 0;
}

static void __exit helloworld_exit(void)
{
    printk(KERN_INFO "Goodbye, world\n");
}

module_init(helloworld_init);
module_exit(helloworld_exit);

I am using Xilinx SDK 2013.4 and I have the 'latest' version of  Linux Xilinx downloaded from https://github.com/Xilinx/linux-xlnx/archive/master.zip (downloaded 1 Feb 2014), which I have built using m using Ubuntu.  

I have added __KERNEL__, __SMP__ and MODULE predefines and I have tried adding both ~/linux-xlnx/include and ~/linux-xlnx/usr/include to the include search path.  When I try building my example, however, I get warnings about missing header files, eg, asm/linkage.h, linux/module.h, etc.

Are there any step-by-step guidelines/tutorials/examples detailing how to setup and build a loadable driver module for use with Linux Xilinx either using Xilinx SDK or a make file?

Thanks in advance.

Tim

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Update: I haven't got my example building from Xilinx SDK but have got the following make file to work:

# If KERNELRELEASE is defined, we've been invoked from the
# kernel build system and can use its language.
ifneq ($(KERNELRELEASE),)

obj-m := driver.o

# Otherwise we were called directly from the command
# line; invoke the kernel build system.
else

# KERNELDIR ?= $(XILINX_LINUX_SOURCE)/lib/modules/3.12.0-xilinx/build
	KERNELDIR ?= $(XILINX_LINUX_SOURCE)
	PWD := $(shell pwd)

default:

$(MAKE) -C $(KERNELDIR) M=$(PWD) ARCH=arm modules

endif

Where XILINX_LINUX_SOURCE is the path to the root of the Xilinx Linux source tree.  Two of my initial problems were that the kernel make file was looking for *.c files not *.cc and that I had omitted the "ARCH=arm", which, as I am only interested in targetting the Zynq I have added to my makefile.

I'm still not completely sorted, however because although I can now build and 'insmod' my *.ko file I cannot 'rmmod' it because '/lib/modules/3.12.0-xilinx' is missing.  I've tried doing 'make modules_install' but this fails as it insists on trying to write to '/lib/modules/3.12.0-xilinx' on the host.  Is it ok to simply create this folder manually on the Zynq's filesystem?

Tim

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

I took a different route of adding my own module to the build with the petalinux-* tools. But there are a few holes in it for which I also don't have answers... FWIW, here's what I've got working.

Inside my project I ran "petalinux-create -t modules -n mymod --enable" which creates $PROJECT/components/modules/mymod/ containing a working template for a module (i.e. Makefile, mymod.c with init/exit functions).

Then, I can see this module when I run "petalinux-config -c rootfs" in the modules section, and it will build when I invoke "petalinux-build -c rootfs". So all this makes it easy to get going without writing module makefiles by hand, which seems like what you're doing.

But there are 2 holes in my process:

-after creating the module under components, the scripts also create another identical one in $PROJECT/build/linux/rootfs/modules/mymod/ and it will get built there; I'm not sure it should be done this way as the build directory should only contain build output and not my master source files

-one of the PDFs mentions that I should be able to run "petalinux-build -c modules -s mymod" to build the module, but this doesn't work at all

I would like to have my module live in $PROJECT/components/modules/ and be able to build just the module without having to build all of rootfs. Any ideas? Am I misusing the petalinux-* tools or are they lacking complete support for custom, out-of-tree modules?

Cheers,

~P

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor
Visitor

If you run: petalinux-build -c rootfs/mymod -v

It will copy over the new source, and recompile. I usually then tftp it over to my zynq.

petalinux$ cp build/linux/rootfs/modules/mymod/mymod.ko /tftpboot/

zynq$ tftp 10.0.0.110 -g -r mymod.ko && insmod mymod.ko

0 Kudos