UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor lossiox
Visitor

How to enlarge the memory in Microblaze for software applications?

Jump to solution

Dear,

I wrote a C program, which after compiled generates a ELF binary with around 85KB. However, it is known that the Microblaze by default uses only 64KB. So my question is how can I enlarge the memory in Microblaze for software applications? The application does not use any kind of buffer or data that could be stored in another block memory. The size is larger due to the complexity of the algorithm in question.

Is there any way to increase the default block memory in Microblaze?

BR,

Rodolfo Lossio

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Historian
Historian

Re: How to enlarge the memory in Microblaze for software applications?

Jump to solution

lossiox wrote:

Dear,

I wrote a C program, which after compiled generates a ELF binary with around 85KB. However, it is known that the Microblaze by default uses only 64KB. So my question is how can I enlarge the memory in Microblaze for software applications? The application does not use any kind of buffer or data that could be stored in another block memory. The size is larger due to the complexity of the algorithm in question.

BR,

Rodolfo Lossio

MicroBlaze uses the amount of BRAM that you specified when you created the system using the BSB. There is no "default."

To change the amount of BRAM after creating the project: in the EDK, click on the "addresses" tab. Look for the instance of xps_bram_if_ctrl. Change its size using the drop-down combo box. Note that you can only do this in powers-of-two, so if you've already allocated 64 kB the next option is 128 kB. Make sure your FPGA has enough BRAMs to do this!

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
4 Replies
Historian
Historian

Jump to solution

lossiox wrote:

Dear,

BR,

Rodolfo Lossio

MicroBlaze uses the amount of BRAM that you specified when you created the system using the BSB. There is no "default."

To change the amount of BRAM after creating the project: in the EDK, click on the "addresses" tab. Look for the instance of xps_bram_if_ctrl. Change its size using the drop-down combo box. Note that you can only do this in powers-of-two, so if you've already allocated 64 kB the next option is 128 kB. Make sure your FPGA has enough BRAMs to do this!

----------------------------Yes, I do this for a living.
Visitor asif.ali
Visitor

Jump to solution

SALAM

i am totally new to FPGA field and know verilog and C languages can any one guide me how to start with MICROBLAZE and write C code for that kindly guide me for that....

Infact i want to implement RTOS onto FPGA using MICROBLAZE so refer me regarding that that what i should i read and get started thanks....

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@asif.ali wrote:

SALAM

i am totally new to FPGA field and know verilog and C languages can any one guide me how to start with MICROBLAZE and write C code for that kindly guide me for that....

Infact i want to implement RTOS onto FPGA using MICROBLAZE so refer me regarding that that what i should i read and get started thanks....

See the following link:

http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/EDK-and-Platform-Studio/New-to-FPGA-s-amp-Microblaze/m-p/71591#M14851

As for RTOS, you might want to see the Embedded Linux section at the forums. 

Its better to create your own topic if a similar one has not already been started.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Hi,

I am going to use microblaze with linux loaded in to it for application development. The memory where my application goes is bram as specified in XPS, I suppose. I want to know if the size of bram controller specified in XPS address tab is same as size of bram memory.Thanks in advance

Tags (2)
0 Kudos