UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

How to make bootloader

Jump to solution

Hi,

I m using virtex4-ML410 board,I done linux porting on that, now I want a menu should be displayed before linux boot,its ask certain option -

Menu

1) Boot linux

2) Run application

3) Exit

Although we can make a program in edk for this , not a problem but my linux image is also .elf so how I i run a .elf file according to this menu.As we can run only one .elf at a time using XMD.

Plz suggest me how can I do this?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Re: How to make bootloader

Jump to solution

I don't quite understand what your question is. It sounds like you are wondering how to transfer from one running elf to begin executing a second elf.  Really all you should need to do is jump to the start location of the new .elf file in memory to begin executing a different .elf file once it has been loaded.

If you are attempting to debug your bootloader in XMD then you should be able to step through the bootloader and once the bootloader stage is complete you can then single step into the new sw application following the load of the new .elf.  At this point you should then be able to launch a new gdb window and set stop points. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

I don't quite understand what your question is. It sounds like you are wondering how to transfer from one running elf to begin executing a second elf.  Really all you should need to do is jump to the start location of the new .elf file in memory to begin executing a different .elf file once it has been loaded.

If you are attempting to debug your bootloader in XMD then you should be able to step through the bootloader and once the bootloader stage is complete you can then single step into the new sw application following the load of the new .elf.  At this point you should then be able to launch a new gdb window and set stop points. 

0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Thanks sir,

Actually I want on selecting "1", .elf of linux should be run.I dont knw its possible or not as I m new to EDK programming.

after "2", then it must ask from the user which applcation u want to run, so second elf.

According to me, I download elf only through XMD.using programming I dont knw.

Plz help me, Cn I run my linux image using EDK programming also.

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Your suggested scenario seems plausible to me.  However, this is all going to be based in how you set up your initial sw application.  You will have to write the initial bootloader sw app to do what you want.

If you are using a bootloader and a uart terminal session, then XMD will not be necessary if your sw application is written to copy from some external non-volatile memory.

You should also be able to download a linux image over XMD if it is in .elf format if you want to do that then you can just use the dow command from an XMD shell.

Xilinx bootloader is set up to copy SREC formatted files from external flash.  But for any other bootloader application, then you will have to customize your own source code to get the end result that you are looking for.

0 Kudos