UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor edwarwl
Visitor

Improving EDK Simulation Speed

I would like to find some way to speed up my behavioral simulation time for a design in EDK. I am using ModelSim SE for the simulations.

I would like to be able to use a larger timestep (maybe 100ps instead of ps), but the UNISIM library throws an error when I attempt to simulate with anything besides 1ps resolution. Here is that error message:

# ** Fatal: (SIGFPE) Floating point exception.
# Time: 0 ps Iteration: 0 Process: /system/clock_generator_0/clock_generator_0/using_pll0/pll0_inst/pll_inst/using_pll_adv/pll_adv_inst/clock_period_update_p File: C:/Xilinx/10.1/ISE/vhdl/src/unisims/unisim_VITAL.vhd
# Fatal error in Process clock_period_update_p at C:/Xilinx/10.1/ISE/vhdl/src/unisims/unisim_VITAL.vhd line 168422
#
# HDL call sequence:
# Stopped at C:/Xilinx/10.1/ISE/vhdl/src/unisims/unisim_VITAL.vhd 168422 Process clock_period_update_p
#

The erroring line in unisim_VITAL.vhd is as follows:

period_vco_rm_tmp1 := period_fb_tmp / 1 ps;

I guess it may just be the nature of the beast, but a 300ms simulation takes close to 18 hours to complete on my machine. Is there any way to shorten the simulation time?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Observer drgrid
Observer

Re: Improving EDK Simulation Speed

I am afraid that it may be the nature of the beast.  At least you have ModelSim SE; I have been working with PE so

if I had the money I could buy better performance.  But you don't have that option.

You can see a very slight improvement if simulate in batch mode, rather than with the GUI.  But you are probably

already doing that.

Matt 

0 Kudos