cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bontorhumala
Visitor
Visitor

Installing BFM for EDK 12.4

Hi my name is Bontor. I am going to make a custom IP to be used as peripheral in my embedded project. I read in several tutorials and manual of XPS, it is recomended to use BFM simulator to check the functionality of my generated peripheral. I have download the IBM CoreConnect Bus Functional Models, but finding it hard to install it. For earlier version, the downloadable is in .exe file, while for 12.x and 13.x XPS version, it is in .zip.

So far,  I have extract the zip package, and copy the folder hw (contains XilinxBFMInterface\pcores\...) and copied them to  <EDK>/hw/XilinxBFMInterface/pcores - BFM simulation models.

But when I try to generate custom IP, in Peripheral Simulation Support menu, I cannot tick the "Generate BFM simulation platform for ModelSim-SE or MOdelSIm- PE"

I have direct the simulator path to vsim.exe in preferences tab.

In the instruction, it is said to read the readme file. But, I cannot found other file described in readme.pdf inside the xip package:

CTG1X_031501.tar.gz -- CoreConnect Test Generator
DCR_TOOLKIT2X_072100.tar.gz -- Device Control Register (DCR) Toolkit
PLB_TOOLKIT3X_102799.tar.gz -- Processor Local Bus (PLB) Toolkit
PLB_TOOLKIT4X_052901.tar.gz -- Processor Local Bus (PLB) Toolkit (Recommended)
OPB_TOOLKIT2X_052401.tar.gz -- On-Chip Peripheral Bus (OPB) Toolkit

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

I have the exactly same problem. Is there anyone could help me with this? or where can I find the relative tutorial?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

hi

I did these steps and it works. I hope it helps you

1- copy 2 folders hw and third_party to  "XILINX\ISE_DS\EDK\bin\nt"

2- copy XilinxBFMinterface folder (in hw folder) to  "Xilinx\ISE_DS\EDK\hw"

3- set these environment variables :

XILINX             ->     C:\Xilinx

XILINX_EDK  ->     C:\Xilinx\12.3\ISE_DS\EDK\bin\nt

Path                ->     C:\Xilinx\12.3\ISE_DS\EDK\bin\nt;C:\Xilinx\12.3\ISE_DS\common\bin\nt;C:\Xilinx\12.3\ISE_DS\ISE\lib\nt;

4- run xilbfc -check in command

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks fk5747,

Your procedure really works. I solved the problem. Now, I'm confusing about the BFM simulation process. For example, if I want the master to write some data in burst mode to my peripheral slave, how can I do this? Do I need also let my slave and plb monitor do write-response to the master's writing?

0 Kudos

Zecary,

There's a document called "PlbToolkit.pdf" included with the toolkit.  Check out Chapter 4.  It gives some more details on how and when to call the 'compiled' BFL files.  Short answer:  Write a BFL file, compile it with the BFC, execute the output (.do file for modelsim) at simulator time 0.

The question really is whether there is a download for the CoreConnect Test Generator - since it appears to be included in the license agreement from IBM.  That would simplify my life significantly if you or any of the Xilinx folks know where to find it.

-J

0 Kudos