Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Integration of XPS and SDK files in a ISE project

Hi,

I have the following scenario. I built a simple embedded system with Microblaze processor, 4 leds and a UART. I downloaded it into the FPGA, so that I configured my hardware. Then I created a simple project with SDK in order to check my hardware configuration. Everything is working so far. Finally I tried to "export" these two projects (the one in SDK and the other one in XPS) in a project in ISE, but I am in trouble since I don't really know how to do that. 

I'm using SP601 board from Xilinx, and the latest versions of all the software.

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

Mimmo

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

Re: Integration of XPS and SDK files in a ISE project

The first question I would ask is, if you have successfully created a project in XPS and exported it to SDK to create a full embedded system, why do now need to place it into ISE? Is it because you want your XPS design to be a submodule as part of a bigger design? If not - you don't really need it in ISE.

If so, you can specify in Project Navigator that a source for your project is an XMP embedded processor design. You will be able to both export the whole thing to SDK if you need to make software changes or specify your ELF as an additional source, related to your XMP.

Does this make sense?

Regards,

Howard

----------
"That which we must learn to do, we learn by doing." - Aristotle
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Hi Horward,

thanks for your reply! I will describe better what I'm trying to do. I created a project with ISE in order to have a PWM. Now, I would like this to be "active" only when I want, that means I want to send an enable signal through keyboard to the FPGA to start. Therefore, I thought to do that through serial communication, using the RS232-USB bridge available on my board. For doing that I created a simple project in XPS with a microprocessor Microblaze, a UART and 4 leds. Then I exported this hardware to SDK where I wrote simple programs to see if the hardware was OK, and everything works fine.

Now the last step should be coupling this XPS-SDK project with my ISE project, in order to achieve my ultimate goal.

I can instantiate the XPS project into ISE top project, but what about my SDK project?

Thanks again for help.

Mimmo 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Teacher
Teacher

I can instantiate the XPS project into ISE top project, but what about my SDK project?

As I mentioned, you can export your ISE hardware to SDK (with or without bitstream) to make adjustments, if you need to - you can use the same workspace as you did previously. I don't think you need to generate a new BSP but I'm not sure. I would have to check that. You can also take your completed ELF and associate it with the XMP file that exists as a source for your top level project. I don't have screenshot right now but, if you don't understand what I mean, I can post one later.

Regards,

Howard

----------
"That which we must learn to do, we learn by doing." - Aristotle
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you want to instanciate the XPS as submodule in ISE you can either create a XPS project using the BSB tool then add the xmp file as a source file in the ISE. You can use the ISE tools to create a top level HDL wrapper (or you can use the system_stub.v gile in the hdl folder in the xps project directory)

If you want to export to SDK, you can export to SDK from the ISE tool. You can either include the bit and bmm files if you like.

To do this, highlight the xmp file in the ISE Hierarchy in ISE and you will see the options to Export the Hardware Design to SDK (with or without Bitstream). If you are adding the bitstream, make sure your UCF is correctly contraining the clcoks and reset amongst other things..

Note: To answer hgleamon1 question, the SDK uses the XML file to create the BSP. The XML file uses the MHS file (a tool called psf2edward is used to create the XML file from the MHS file). So, regardless of how deep the edk is as a submodule, the XML will be the same, hense the BSP will be the same.

Highlighted
Voyager
Voyager

I think your project flow is rather complicated! Like Horward sugested it would be easier to do this if you start from the ISE , add a processor as a sub module and finally export the design to the SDK with bitstream. There you can write the software for your project and finally program the board FROM THE SDK! So now your design contains all the aspects! 

If I may I would suggest a different approcach to your design. I am currently working on a project where I use a PWM component and I need to turn it on and off at my will . So what I did was I developed a custop IP using the CIP wizard and used that to take an input from the Microblaze. Its a very simple method. All you have to do is write to the slave register an activation sort of signal and rest is vhdl coding in the user logic of the custom IP. May be you would want to try this method. You have a lot of examples on how to use the CIP wizard if you didnt know yet..

Hope it helps!

Regards

Arvind

Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Thanks all for your suggestions. They were really useful to me!

Arvind, could you send me some links where I can find examples on how to use the CIP wizard?

Thanks!

Best,

Cosimo

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Voyager
Voyager

You might start of with this : Chapter 6 

http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx14_1/edk_ctt.pdf

When I was learning how to do it this example was particualrly useful to me! 

http://ecasp.ece.iit.edu/mbtutorial.pdf

Hope it helps ..

0 Kudos