cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Is Second Stage bootloader (U-boot) mandatory for firmware update on RTOS based system

Jump to solution

Dear All,

I am working on Zynq7000 SoC, running FreeRTOS based applicaton. I have few queires/understanding on firmware/partition update during device operational in feild

My understanding:

1) U-boot not necessary just to support firmware update, as FSBL can meet all our requirements.

2) Download the updated firmware image/partition to DDR, and application code (similar to partition loader xapp1224 ) to validate the image and write to QSPI, do software reset, FSBL will find the latest image in the subsequent  boot. 

Note: Sytem/Firmware Update is user initiated.

Do you see any hurdles (secure/non-secure boot mode) & need for u-boot to have firwmare update feature?

Thanks & Regards,

Vamshi G.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @vamshig51 

You are right, U-Boot is not required at all to implement a firware update feature. U-Boot is mainly used to boot Linux into the target as FSBL is not able to boot Linux straight away.

Regards

Ibai
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi @vamshig51 

You are right, U-Boot is not required at all to implement a firware update feature. U-Boot is mainly used to boot Linux into the target as FSBL is not able to boot Linux straight away.

Regards

Ibai
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.

View solution in original post