UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

LMB Blockram "low power" option

Dear all,

Block memory generator is automatically used as LMB Blockram in any microblaze system. So far so good. Its mode is "BRAM Controller" and most of the options are greyed out, including the algorithm.

I am very much interested in low power option. Is there any way to change the blockram distribution algorithm from minimum area to low power even when core is used as LMB Blockram for the microblaze?

Switching the core to "Stand Alone" Mode is working during synthesis in implementation, but BMM_INFO_DESIGN is missing at the end.

Help is appreciated.

Regards,

Sebastian

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Scholar austin
Scholar

Re: LMB Blockram "low power" option

s,

The only way to reduce BRAM power is to use fewer of them.

The power difference will be hard to even measure, however, as they are very efficient.

Use the XPE to see the differences (Xilinx Power Esimator).

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Adventurer
Adventurer

Re: LMB Blockram "low power" option

Hi Austin,

When I use 32 BRAMs I can either decide to let each BRAM contribute with 1bit to the data bus. Then the whole address bus is connected to each RAM and in each read/write operation all BRAMs are active and consume power. This seems to be the default setup for Microblaze LMB RAM.

On the other hand I could select the BRAM depending on MSB address bits. Then only one BRAM is selected for the whole 32bit of data bus width. At the BRAM output a MUX would be necessary consuming resources.

As far as I understand this is the difference in the "algorithm" option for the block memory generator. The question is now: can I make this choice also when Bram generator is used as LMB Blockram.

Thanks and regards,
Sebastian
0 Kudos