Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

LWIP TFTP transmission speed

Jump to solution

Hi everyone,

I'm doing a project using xapp1026 with ml506 board. I must transfer a file from computer to fpga therefore I use tftp protochol.  But the problem is transmission speed. although ethernet communication is 100Mbps my transmission speed is just 50KBps. I've disabled all the other applications of Lwip demo from config_apps.h also, I've edited the code and get rid of everything unnecessary but, still transmission speed is 50KBps . Is it a limitation of tftp protochol or microblaze? and how can I speed up tftp transmission? any suggestions please...

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: LWIP TFTP transmission speed

Jump to solution

TFTP is in general a poorly performing protocol. I know, "but THAT bad?".

There are two general problems with it.  First, it uses small packets (does not fill a 1500 byte ethernet frame). I don't know if it is implemented in xapp1026 this way, but that is the standard for TFTP.  In short, the first (and probably the only) improvement you can make is to increase the packet size used. Second, since UDP is used rather than TCP, there are no windowing facilities provided. That is to say, there is only a single data packet "in flight" at any given time, and an ACK for every single data packet.  This cumulative latency penalty is... bad? Very bad.  Short packets, which must each be handled immediately (no benefits from ethernet interrupt coalescing) is also what MicroBlaze is worst at.

-Brian 

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

TFTP is in general a poorly performing protocol. I know, "but THAT bad?".

There are two general problems with it.  First, it uses small packets (does not fill a 1500 byte ethernet frame). I don't know if it is implemented in xapp1026 this way, but that is the standard for TFTP.  In short, the first (and probably the only) improvement you can make is to increase the packet size used. Second, since UDP is used rather than TCP, there are no windowing facilities provided. That is to say, there is only a single data packet "in flight" at any given time, and an ACK for every single data packet.  This cumulative latency penalty is... bad? Very bad.  Short packets, which must each be handled immediately (no benefits from ethernet interrupt coalescing) is also what MicroBlaze is worst at.

-Brian 

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi all,

Even i am facing similar problem..

I am using ml507 with powerpc..and my ethernet communication speed is 1000Mbps. I checked the tx, rx, speed with iperf..one time i got rx speed of  254 Mbps (but in xapp1026 it is mentioned like 500Mbps).

How can i increase my Throughput (ofcourse i tried even for tcp by increasing window size)?

And , when i typed "iperf -s -i 5" which is to check tx speed i am not getting any o/p like wise i got for rx speed.

Can anyone help me ..

Thanks,

Kavya.

0 Kudos
Observer
Observer

Jump to solution

Kavya, did you solve your problem with speed?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Hello all I am trying to send the data by using the TFTP protocol, I am using the LightWeight IP TFTP Application Examples for Zynq7000 board.

can anyone tell me how to install TFTP client on ubuntu machine because I am getting the below error on ubuntu machin

/home/user# tftp 192.168.1.10

tftp> put hello.txt

tftp> Transfer time out.

on serial terminal, I am getting the prints for receiving the write request as below which ensures the connection between host pc and FPGA board is established. 

TFTP WRQ (write request): hello.txt

I am suspecting the TFTP client installation is not properly done on the ubuntu machine, can anyone tell me how to install TFTP Client on the ubuntu machine?

Any other suggestions will be highly appreciated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi @deepg799 

Our Community Help has a tip that might help you : Tip: If the message is older than 6-12 months, please post a new message rather than adding to the existing thread. Your inquiry will have a better chance of being picked up by an expert if it is a new topic.

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/help/faqpage/faq-category-id/posting#posting

I would suggest you create a new topic on the appropriate board

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos