UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer jwoithe
Observer

Licence for xps_ll_temac on Virtex4 has disappeared

Jump to solution

As of 1 July 2009 xps will no longer generate a bitstream for my design which uses the xps_ll_temac IP core.  The target is the Virtex4 which of course has the hard TEMAC and therefore the xps_ll_temac should not require a licence.  I am using ISE/EDK 10.1.3.  The same project was synthesised successfully yesterday (30 June 2009) and there have been no changes to the project since then.  However, when attempting to synthesise I now get the following message in trimode_mac_gmii_wrapper_xst.srp:

INFO:coreutil - No license for component <xps_ll_temac_v1> found. You may use the customization GUI for this component but you will not be able to generate any implementation or simulation files.

XPS itself reports:

ERROR:Xst:1484 - A core is unlicensed !

ERROR:MDT - Aborting XST flow execution!
INFO:MDT - Refer to /home/.../synthesis/trimode_mac_gmii_wrapper_xst.srp for details
:
ERROR:MDT - platgen failed with errors!
make: *** [implementation/system.bmm] Error 2

Its almost as if the ability to use the xps_ll_temac core expired on 1 July 2009.  Is there any chance of getting it back soon (I have further development work to do)?

Regards

jonathan

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Visitor jcamba
Visitor

Re: Licence for xps_ll_temac on Virtex4 has disappeared

Jump to solution

You may get a permanent license from the following link:

http://www.xilinx.com/member/xps_ll_temac_perpetual_eval/index.htm
25 Replies
Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have the same problem , could any one help us ?

Ah,

0 Kudos
Newbie 20090507

Jump to solution

Hello,

I have the same problem on a Virtex5.

Best Regards

0 Kudos
Newbie lwoods

Jump to solution

Same problem on virtex XUPV5-LX110T. It all worked fine yesterday...

Thank you for any help.

Louis

0 Kudos
Visitor juzl
Visitor

Jump to solution
I also have same issue with Virtex 5, webcase is pending...because I'm stucked due to this.BTW if you change date back to 30.6.2008 it recognize correct license unfortunately synthesisgets crazy due to silly timestamps and runs forever in loop :)

0 Kudos
Visitor juzl
Visitor

Jump to solution

X proposed this:

xlicmgr reset -v

but for me without success.

0 Kudos
Visitor marcb
Visitor

Jump to solution

Same problem here,

hopefully a solution will come up soon!

using 10.1.03

0 Kudos
Visitor juzl
Visitor

Jump to solution
Step 2 from this

http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/32054.htm

works fine :) but solution is far from optimal....

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

I am having the same problem on a Virtex 5. I am using an ML507 board.

I also just opened a webcase and will be sure to post the solution when it is resolved.

C'mon Xilinx.

I have EDK 10.1 sp3 as the above link says to upgrade to to fix the issue and I have encountered this problem. I contacted the ip_admin as stated in the AR and got an automated reply that he is out of the office due to US wide company summer shutdown until July 6th.

Message Edited by thirdeye on 07-01-2009 02:19 PM
Message Edited by thirdeye on 07-01-2009 02:25 PM
Message Edited by thirdeye on 07-01-2009 02:41 PM
0 Kudos
Observer jwoithe
Observer

Jump to solution

Update: I have received communication from the local Xilinx reps who confirm that there is a problem.  They point to Answer record 32054 as was mentioned in another post in this thread.  I am seeking further clarification as to what the long-term solution will be.  The need to regenerate a licence every 90 days for a component we're not even technically using is not, IMHO, an acceptable proposition.

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution
I did acquire the eval license (actually was 120 days for me). I was a little confused because the explanation is not very clear. This license is actually for the soft core which is necessary for the hard core. I agree that this is not a permanent solution. In my email to the ip_admin I also explained that there needs to be a better solution than individually and temporarily fixing this for everyone.
0 Kudos
Participant wasiqnaeem
Participant

Jump to solution

simply set the date of your operating system to any earlier date that must be before 30-jun-2009.  :-)

it worked for me.

waqar

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer jwoithe
Observer

Jump to solution

wasiqnaeem: if that works for you, great.  Unfortunately I do a lot more on my PC than just Xilinx design work - things like software development which depend on a monatomically increasing date to ensure correct operation of the build system.  Winding the date back (and keeping it earlier than 1 July 2009) simply isn't an option for me or, I suspect, many others.  However, if you don't have these types of constraints then I guess it's a workable solution.

Regards

jonathan

0 Kudos
Observer milanbrazil
Observer

Jump to solution

Only change the date is not enough, I copy all my program files include the .xmp, .mhs, .mss, .v and .c to a new directory and make a little change then save them, so all these files date are "correct", i.e. you should make a new project, the point is that you should not copy the useless files, and every file you copy should be saved again.

I want to say:"Go ahead, xilinx, you've make our programmers' life very colorful."  

0 Kudos
Participant wasiqnaeem
Participant

Jump to solution
jwothie: ofcourse its not the most elegant solution but for the worst case scenario atleast some people can continue their work until a solution comes from xilinx.
0 Kudos
Observer jwoithe
Observer

Jump to solution

wasiqnaeem: for sure - if it works for some people then I'm all for it.  In my situation though it wouldn't work, so I have temporarily worked around it by obtaining one of the temporary soft-TEMAC evaluation licences.  I think we all agree that at the end of the day neither of these solutions are really satisfactory; I hope Xilinx come up with a better option than just "upgrade to 11.1" since this won't be an option for many people.

Regards

jonathan

0 Kudos
Visitor jcamba
Visitor

Jump to solution
I also used the soft-TEMAC evaluation license as a temporary solution. However, after e-mailing xilinx (ip_admin@xilinx.com) and explaining that constantly renewing was inconvenient (given that the hard-temac ideally should not require a license), I was told that they would generate a license that would not require a renewal. All it may take is an e-mail (as described in step 3 of http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/32054.htm) to resolve this issue for good.
0 Kudos
Observer jwoithe
Observer

Jump to solution

Another update: along with the provision of a perpetual licence to get around the issue of continual renewals (via the steps outlined in the previously referenced Answer Record), Xilinx has told me that they are working on a permanent solution to the problem and that it is expected to be ready in around "48 hours".  We'll see I guess.

0 Kudos
Visitor jcamba
Visitor

Jump to solution

You may get a permanent license from the following link:

http://www.xilinx.com/member/xps_ll_temac_perpetual_eval/index.htm
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution
Has a same problem happened for APU_FPU? Or the reason for that giving a license error is something else?
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

My APU_FPU builds wihtout any problem. It seems that this must be an issue unique to you. (at least it is not an issue for me).

I believe you must be using a PPC processor in order to make use of the APU_FPU core, but I am not sure about that.

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution
Of course I do use APU_FPU alongside PPC processors on Virtex-4 FX. I built a design for ML403 including the fpu, and it gives error 1484 (A core is unlicensed!). Then I changed my date to one year ago. Everything worked fine this time. After correcting my date, the error came back. This should be of the same nature as above, shouldn't it?
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution
That does sound like the same problem. I would open a webcase with Xilinx if you have not done so already. They have always provided some sort of solution for all of my problems. Hope you ge that resolved and it does not happen to me.
0 Kudos
Visitor eqiang925
Visitor

Jump to solution

I have to say that this problem has not been really solved.

The lic file from 'http://www.xilinx.com/member/xps_ll_temac_perpetual_eval/index.htm ' is a hardware evaluation license for Hard MAC core, and that means the generated design will cease to function in the programmed device after operating for some period of time.

This is not an acceptable resolution in a handover project.  Who will reset the device each time the MAC cease to function?

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi,

This license file is only used to aovid the issue that the tool fails if there's no valid license for the Hard TEMAC.

Hard Temac won't cease to function after 8 hours like other evaluated soft cores do.

-XF 

Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution
same problem, totally depressingly, if somebody has a solution please answer. tried to run my project with 11.1, was just awful.
0 Kudos