Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vegajua1
Visitor
Visitor

Loading hardware platform created in Vivado into SDK fails

Jump to solution

I am a relatively new user to Vivado and would appreciate some assistance

I am using Vivado 2015.1 to create a project that includes a MicroBlaze device. After successfully generating the bitstream with no errors, I am exporting the Hardware using File->Export->Export Hardware, exporting the file to the project directory and including the bitstream. After completing this, I am launching SDK using File->Launch SDK placing both the exported location and workspace to the project directory. When I launch this, I receive a message saying "Importing Hardware Specification has encountered a problem". The details of this error message say "java.lang.NullPointerException". The log is copied below. I get the same error if I try to directly use SDK to create a new hardware platform and import the design. I am able to program the device using Vivado so the hardware design should be correct. The log in SDK is:

11:46:40 ERROR : Error occurred while creating hardware platform OpenCL_static_wrapper_hw_platform_10 from sysdef java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Invalid Hardware Specification File provided: /<Folder_Location>/OpenCL_static_wrapper_hw_platform_10/system.hdf at com.xilinx.sdk.hw.internal.HwPlatform.<init>(HwPlatform.java:91) at com.xilinx.sdk.hw.internal.HwSpecFactory.createHwSpec(HwSpecFactory.java:53) at com.xilinx.sdk.hw.internal.HwProjectCreator.createHwProjectFromZip(HwProjectCreator.java:117) at com.xilinx.sdk.hw.HwProjectUtil.internalCreate(HwProjectUtil.java:214) at com.xilinx.sdk.hw.HwProjectUtil.makeNewHardwareProject(HwProjectUtil.java:165) at com.xilinx.sdk.hw.HwProjectUtil.makeNewHardwareProject(HwProjectUtil.java:152) at com.xilinx.sdk.hw.HwProjectUtil.makeNewHardwareProject(HwProjectUtil.java:127) at com.xilinx.sdk.startup.InitSDK.processHwSpecArgumentTask(InitSDK.java:415) at com.xilinx.sdk.startup.InitSDK.access$8(InitSDK.java:397)

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vegajua1
Visitor
Visitor

I solved this problem using the solution to a similar problem in another thread for an earlier Vivado version. It turns out that Vivado can only export files which are not only created but also physically open. When I ran File->Export->Export Hardware, I need to have not only run synthesis, implementation, and bitstream creation, as specified in the manual, but I also need to simultaneously have the block design and the implemented design opened. When I exported the file with these two windows opened, having made no other changes to the design, the file produced was now able to be opened using SDK.

Thanks,

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
pvempati
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

Can you please share the design(HDF file) for this issue.

Thanks in advance,

Praveen

0 Kudos
vegajua1
Visitor
Visitor

I solved this problem using the solution to a similar problem in another thread for an earlier Vivado version. It turns out that Vivado can only export files which are not only created but also physically open. When I ran File->Export->Export Hardware, I need to have not only run synthesis, implementation, and bitstream creation, as specified in the manual, but I also need to simultaneously have the block design and the implemented design opened. When I exported the file with these two windows opened, having made no other changes to the design, the file produced was now able to be opened using SDK.

Thanks,

View solution in original post

0 Kudos