Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
loutronique
Visitor
Visitor

Locallink and DMA

Jump to solution

Hi All,

I need to make a DMA transfert between a ddr2 and a bram.

So can i use the do this by connecting the LocalLink interface to xps_LL_fifo which will be connected to the plb_bus(the bram is connected to the plb) ?

I am using a powerpc and xps for the first time.

Thank you for the help.

regards

lounes

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
shuns
Explorer
Explorer

Hi,

Possibly not. It sounds like to me, from your description,  you would like connect the MPMC SDMA PIM through the LL_FIFO to the xps_bram on the PLB bus. Although this is logically possble, it won't work.

To explain a little bit, the SDMA engine can move through data with a master peripheral (for example, xps_ll_temac) connected to it. It requires the LL peripheral to be able to initiate a transaction on the LL interface (for example, when xps_ll_temac receives a packet) as well as receving data from the SDMA engine (for example, a user needs to transmit a packet). But nether the xps_bram nor xps_ll_fifo has this kind of function.

Local link and SDMA might not be an easy concept to understand for a first time user. To start with, I would suggest keep it with the PLB bus and use the central DMA core to move data around. Although the performance won't be as high as SDMA, it is nonetheless a proven solution and all the necessary cores (MPMC, xps_central_dma, xps_bram) are readily available for you to create a working system quickly.

Hope this will help you.

-Yan Shun Li

View solution in original post

4 Replies
shuns
Explorer
Explorer

Hi,

Possibly not. It sounds like to me, from your description,  you would like connect the MPMC SDMA PIM through the LL_FIFO to the xps_bram on the PLB bus. Although this is logically possble, it won't work.

To explain a little bit, the SDMA engine can move through data with a master peripheral (for example, xps_ll_temac) connected to it. It requires the LL peripheral to be able to initiate a transaction on the LL interface (for example, when xps_ll_temac receives a packet) as well as receving data from the SDMA engine (for example, a user needs to transmit a packet). But nether the xps_bram nor xps_ll_fifo has this kind of function.

Local link and SDMA might not be an easy concept to understand for a first time user. To start with, I would suggest keep it with the PLB bus and use the central DMA core to move data around. Although the performance won't be as high as SDMA, it is nonetheless a proven solution and all the necessary cores (MPMC, xps_central_dma, xps_bram) are readily available for you to create a working system quickly.

Hope this will help you.

-Yan Shun Li

View solution in original post

loutronique
Visitor
Visitor

thank you shuns for your answe,

I will try to use the central dma but i just have an other question to be sure .

is there a linux driver to configure the dma with the powerpc because i only found standalone drivers ?

0 Kudos
shuns
Explorer
Explorer

Hi,

Unfortinately, on the Linux front, there is no driver for the central DMA yet. You may have to write your own.

Sorry :(

Yan Shun Li

0 Kudos
loutronique
Visitor
Visitor

thank you again shuns i will try to make the driver myself

0 Kudos