Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Participant
Participant

Maximum frequency provided by XPS

Hello everybody,

I have implemented a basic system with BSB and have attached a custom peripheral. But after compiling everything in XPS, I can see in the report (system.log) that the maximum frequency is only 64.499 MHz:

Design statistics:

Minimum period: 15.504ns (Maximum frequency: 64.499MHz)

Maximum path delay from/to any node: 5.706ns

Maximum net delay: 0.838ns

The clock is running at 100 MHz, and everything works fine as expected... Shouldn't it give strange results or behave strangely??

Thanks in advance!

Alejandro Cristo
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Maximum frequency provided by XPS

Hi,

The maximum frequency or the minimum period is determined based on the critical path in the design(slowest path).

Can you check what is the maximum frequency of design without the custom IP?

Thnx

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant
Participant

Hello htsvn,

I have compiled a new BSB with only SDRAM, UartLite1 and BRAM (64 KB) as peripherals. Bus clock: 100MHz, Processor clock: 400MHz.

After compiling the hardware the maximum clock period is about 102 MHz:

Design statistics:
Minimum period: 9.754ns (Maximum frequency: 102.522MHz)

What may the problem be?

Thanks.

Alejandro Cristo
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

The input to the design is 100MHz. This goes into a DCM/PLL/MMCM and derives the clocks required for each of your

module internally. The frequency reported in the synthesis report is based on how the design got synthesized.

Do refer to this link which explains about Maximum Synthesis report of XST

http://myfpgablog.blogspot.com/2010/11/understand-maximum-frequency-reporting.html

Thnx

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello,

I have a virte-5 FPGA (XC5VLX50T), and I want to increase clock frequency of embedded system includded micriblaze, LEDs, etc up to 400 MHz.

It works right when the frequency is less than 200 MHZ, but when I choose frequency about 300-400 MHz by clockgenerator or PLL, it failes.

and gives an error like this:

----------------------------------------------------------------

ERROR: 1 constraint not met.

PAR could not meet all timing constraints. A bitstream will not be generated.

To disable the PAR timing check:

1> Disable the "Treat timing closure failure as error" option from the Project Options dialog in XPS.

OR

2> Type following at the XPS prompt:
XPS1set enable_par_timing_error 0
********************************************************************************
make: *** [implementation/system.bit] Error 1

----------------------------------------------------------------

When I disable the "Treat timing closure failure as error" option, my design doesn't work.

and I know my FPGA supports frequencies up to 500 MHz as it's mentioned in Virtex-5 datasheet.

I need 300 or 400MHz in my embedded system. how can I solve this problem?

Thank you!

0 Kudos