UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Contributor

Memory initialization for non-processor designs with data2mem (Vivado)

Hello,

I have a non-processor design (no microblaze or similar) with a lot of BRAMs that I´m synthesizing in Vivado. After the bitfile generation, I´d like to change the content of the BRAMs. I think this was possible with ISE with the help of a .bmm file and the data2mem tool.

About a year ago, I asked here and also followed some other threads concerning this topic with Vivado, but the general answer was (quote):

Non processor based designs are not supported by the current code.  Memory initialization via data2mem for non-processor based designs is currently not supported, but this is covered by roadmap.

This is something, however, that is on the roadmap for a future release.

Has something changed since then?

My current workaround for Vivado ist to save a checkpoint after place&route and then open the checkpoint and then use this tcl command:

set_property INIT_00 {256'h0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000} [get_gells {i_top/i_sub_block/i_ram_name/U0/*.ram}] 

to manipulate the contents of the BRAMs. This works more or less, but is not really convenient. I have to get my memory content into a set of tcl commands first, then open Vivado, read in the checkpoint and have to run the whole bitfile generation. This takes a lot longer than just patching a bitfile. 

So, are there any news on that topic?

Thanks in advance

Antonio

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Teacher muzaffer
Teacher

Re: Memory initialization for non-processor designs with data2mem (Vivado)

did you see this post: http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Embedded-Development-Tools/RAM-initialization-post-build-in-Vivado/m-p/493184#M32471
- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.
Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos