UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Memory read error at 0xF8000008: Cannot read write-only register

Jump to solution

Hello, 

I am using Zynq-7000, 

• I can program the Zynq- boot flash memory succesfully,
  • Zynq is seen properly boot-up from flash. Done led lights up
  • I can even communicate with Zynq via Ethernet for near 10 seconds. 
  • After this 10 seconds later, something has gone wrong and ethernet connection is gone, even processor is seen halted.
  • I tried many times, behaivor of Zynq is like that. 
  • Then, I decided to try to debug a basic memory test generated by SDK. Ups. I received error  "Memory read error at 0xF8000008: Cannot read write-only register" . I can not even debug the ARM.
  • I have looked at Zynq register 0xF8000008 that is seen write-only as attached from TRM. 
  • Why does Zynq try to read this write-only register 0xF8000008 ? 
  • May not the PS initialization be done properly after the power-on? 

Waiting for replies, 

Thank you !

error2.jpg
error.JPG
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Memory read error at 0xF8000008: Cannot read write-only register

Jump to solution

Hi,

Which version of SDK are you using. From 2016.x, hw_server throws an error if an attempt is made to read WO regs (ps_init.tcl uses mask_write command to write to WO registers too). SDK should catch this error and throw a warning.

A simple workaround is to start hw_server manually, connect to it from xsdb/xsct, and run the command 'configparams force-mem-accesses 1'. This will suppress the memory access protection, so when you launch debug from SDK after this, you shouldn't see the error you mentioned

2 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Hi,

Which version of SDK are you using. From 2016.x, hw_server throws an error if an attempt is made to read WO regs (ps_init.tcl uses mask_write command to write to WO registers too). SDK should catch this error and throw a warning.

A simple workaround is to start hw_server manually, connect to it from xsdb/xsct, and run the command 'configparams force-mem-accesses 1'. This will suppress the memory access protection, so when you launch debug from SDK after this, you shouldn't see the error you mentioned

Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Dear @sadanan,

*Which version of SDK are you using.

It is 2016.3

I wil try your suggestions to overcome the problem. 

Thank you.

Tags (5)
0 Kudos