UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor ignis_tliu
Visitor

Microblaze Debugger couldn't debug/run source code on A Vivado 20164 generated Microblaze System

Jump to solution

Hello Xilinx Support team and others,

I am currently encountering an issue that I couldn't run source code debugging on a Xilinx Microblaze system design, which is synthesized and generated on Vivado 20164.
In our case, we created a Microblaze system design based on a Xilinx "base Microblaze design" example, got synthesizing, implementing and generating bitstream file successes.
Then based on this design created HW platform, BSP, and then created a "hello world" example application project. We were able to compile and created EFL file of project, We also could download the combined download.bit file to a KC705 board. We confirmed "Hello World " string was output on UART .

Next, I would like to try run the system and application through a debugger. I setup a GDB debugging session for the application. Started Debugger to run the application code.

The debugger connected to MDM correctly.
However, the debugger didn't stop at main function even I configed "Stop at main() when debugging" in debug configurations.
and, the program went to somewhere like below address without doing anything.
exit() 0x000019bc.

The very interesting thing is, this issue didn't happen if the microblaze system is synthesized and generated by vivado 20154.

Does Vivado20164 need any configuration to generate proper system? or this is a bug ? Any solution or workaround for this issue?

Thanks in advance,

Tong

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Microblaze Debugger couldn't debug/run source code on A Vivado 20164 generated Microblaze System

Jump to solution

Hi @ignis_tliu,

We still support GDB but we recommend to use system debugger.

Can you try to clean your project and re-build it and try again with system debugger?

Thanks,

Florent

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos
5 Replies

Re: Microblaze Debugger couldn't debug/run source code on A Vivado 20164 generated Microblaze System

Jump to solution

Hi @ignis_tliu,

I have already answered the same issue today on the forum:

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Embedded-Development-Tools/Unable-to-single-step-or-Stop-at-Main-with-SDK-2016-4/m-p/756335

The solution is to use the system debugger (which is the xilinx tool) instead of GDB

Kind Regards,

Florent

Florent
0 Kudos
Visitor ignis_tliu
Visitor

Jump to solution

Thanks for your replying,

Tried to use system debugger. After started debug session, the program stop at beginning of main function - I guess, however it's not within c source code windows, it jump into disassembly window. How could I make system debugger stop show break point in C source code window?

Also, If GDB debugger is no longer supported, should you remove it from debug configurations? That would reduce a lot of user confusion.

Thanks,

Tong

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @ignis_tliu,

We still support GDB but we recommend to use system debugger.

Can you try to clean your project and re-build it and try again with system debugger?

Thanks,

Florent

Florent
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Visitor spring1919
Visitor

Jump to solution

Does this approach not affect the use of JTAG-UART?

thanks

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi @spring1919,

No it does not.

Please create a new post if you have an issue.

Regards,

Florent

Florent
0 Kudos