UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Contributor
Contributor

Microblaze bootloader with run time loading

Hello

I am wanting to implement a bootloader for the Microblaze. I have read various application notes regarding bootloading the Microblaze. Most bootloader documentation details a bootloader that exists in BRAM in the FPGA. The bootloader loads the run time application from an external non-volatile device (such as a flash) into an external volatile memory (such as SRAM or DDR SDRAM). The Microblaze then runs on the external memory.

I have the following constraints:

1) The FPGA doesn't have access to external memory.

2) The programming of the run time application software must be fast. Combining an ELF with an FPGA bit file and programming an external flash device takes too long.

3) The run time application will be a standalone application (in other words, a standard microcontroller, not a Linux kernal) and the run time application will typically be fairly small.

I have included a PDF of what I am proposing. I plan to use a fairly large amount of BRAM in the FPGA (128KB). There will be a small bootloader application residing at the lower address space. This will form part of the FPGA boot image. I will convert the run time application ELF file into a BIN file using mb_objcopy. This BIN file will be received by the bootloader over FSL and programmed into the upper address space of the BRAM. Using a trick detailed by Xilinx in an application note, the Program Counter will then jump to the run time application instruction code in the upper address space of the BRAM. There will need to be some work in the bootloader to handle the interrupts and exceptions of the run time application. But I am hoping to always put the run time application at the same address in the BRAM and so this should make it easier.

I have a couple of questions:

1) Has anyone tried this? Is there something I am missing?

2) I am concerned about the locations of the heap and stack in the BRAM (both of the bootloader and the run time application). How do I find out where these will be located? I need to make sure that my run time application instruction code will not overlap the address space for the heap and stack.

3) Will the bootloader software be able to write to the upper address space in the BRAM to program in the run time application instruction code? Or is the BRAM address space 'protected'?

4) Will mb_objcopy generate the raw BIN file that I need or will I need to do any post processing before programming into the BRAM (such as swapping bytes, endian swaps, etc).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I am using ISE/EDK version 13.4. This is for a Virtex 6 XC6VSX315T-1FF1156C.

Many thanks

Gavin

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Microblaze bootloader with run time loading

An update:

I have been able to answer some of my own questions:

1) Usg mb-objdump -h <filename> in SDK to see the sizes of the different sections in the ELF file.

2) Microblaze can read and write BRAM directly using XIo_In, XIo_Out.

3) I am using two separate BRAMs. A smaller one (16K) contains the bootloader and forms part of the FPGA bit file. A larger one (128K) will contain the real-time programmed application software.

I am about to test in hardware and will give further updates for anyone who is interested.

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

It is working. Execution successfully jumps to the run time loaded application code in the second larger BRAM.

Only thing I am still trying to sort out is what to do with the reset, interrupt and exception vectors as these are still located at the start of the boot BRAM and not part of the loaded application code.

Any advice?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

OK the final piece of the puzzle is in place.

I extract the exception/interrupt/reset vector code from the ELF of my run time application. Then when I program in the run time loaded application code, I overwrite the exception/interrupt/reset vector code of the bootloader. 

The result is that when an interrupt or reset happens in the run time application, the right piece of code is now executed (instead of the original bootloader code).

This works because my bootloader is very simple and doesn't use interrupts.

Everything is now working.

0 Kudos
Visitor gerry01
Visitor

Hi,

Interesting topic. I'm looking to implement exacly the same architecture on a spartan6 device.

Can you elaborate on how you managed to get the bin file in the correct format into the bram's ?

thanks.

0 Kudos
Scholar stephenm
Scholar

Why are you using a bootloader if you are using internal memory, why not just program the BRAM with the main application ( the one in the 128KB BRAM) and execute from there. You can set the boot address in the microblaze config

To answer the other posters question. You can use mb-objcopy to convert from elf to bin ( in fact unless you want to make changes to the elf. For example strip out sections, you should just use XSDB dow -data execrable.elf to place the elf into bram) however, if your elf is for example executing from DDR the resulting bin (elf to bin) will be huge as the tools will pad the gap between the reset vectors and the main application in DDR. To work around this user would create two bin files, one for the vectors, the other for all other sections and merge these. User can use the my-obj copy -R to remove sections. This is mentioned in the pdf here. This is a boot solution using an app in the bram that copies the application bin file from flash into DDR and execute from there
https://forums.xilinx.com/xlnx/attachments/xlnx/EDK/30778/1/kc705_qspi_flash_bootload.pdf
0 Kudos