UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer bsutin
Observer

Microblaze is under RESET

I have a custom Spartan-3A DSP board functions fine under an IP core assembled by someone who has left the company, and left little documentation behind. I am trying to recreate a documented process on how to build a new core, so we can then upgrade to something newer than EDK 10.1. My new core loads without error, but loading any software through the JTAG under the SDK gives a "Microblaze is under RESET" error. From looking through the forums, I suspect either the clock or the reset. Is there some way to determine if the clock is running? I have not installed ChipScope, since I don't know how to use it. Is that the only option?
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Scholar austin
Scholar

Re: Microblaze is under RESET

b,

Often, people are confused by the MicorBlaze reset:  is it positive true, or negative true?  Seems your design has it flipped somewhere, and it is saying it can't run (being held in reset).  Read the manual, check the source of the reset signal.

Austin Lesea
Principal Engineer
Xilinx San Jose
0 Kudos
Observer bsutin
Observer

Yup.  The reset line is connected to a pull-up, while mb_reset is active high, so that is perhaps the problem.  How do I fix it, preferably from either the XPS GUI or by changing the Board Support Package?

0 Kudos
Instructor
Instructor

Your .mhs file should have a line like this in it:

PORT fpga_0_rst_1_sys_rst_pin = sys_rst_s, DIR = I, SIGIS = RST, RST_POLARITY = 1

You should be able to change the reset polarity by flipping the value of RST_POLARITY between 1 and 0.

-- Gabor

-- Gabor
0 Kudos
Observer bsutin
Observer

I tried that, but I get an error: "Parameter C_EXT_RESET_HIGH is set to 0 while input reset port is connected to an ACTIVE_HIGH reset."

I does occur to me, though, that it is easy to put an inverter on the reset line in the board support description file. Many of the vendor-supplied .XBD files do this.

0 Kudos
Observer bsutin
Observer

Update - closer inspection of the .xbd file reveals that both the reset and the clock are connected up wrong. It was clearly written by an idiot (me).

0 Kudos