UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

PC with Ubuntu 14.04 64bit, SDK 2015.1 fails to compile (make error 2) compiler not found

Accepted Solution Solved
Highlighted
Visitor
Accepted Solution

PC with Ubuntu 14.04 64bit, SDK 2015.1 fails to compile (make error 2) compiler not found

Hi,

I did install vivado 2015.1 and SDK 2015.1 and just making a simple hello world project but the bsp doesn't even compile. make command cannot compile the basic libraries.

See error below:

11:54:19 **** Build of configuration Debug for project LED_test ****
make all
Building file: ../src/helloworld.c
Invoking: ARM gcc compiler
/bin/sh: /opt/Xilinx/SDK/2015.1/gnu/arm/lin/bin/arm-xilinx-eabi-gcc: No such file or directory
arm-xilinx-eabi-gcc -Wall -O0 -g3 -c -fmessage-length=0 -MT"src/helloworld.o" -I../../LED_test_bsp/ps7_cortexa9_0/include -MMD -MP -MF"src/helloworld.d" -MT"src/helloworld.d" -o "src/helloworld.o" "../src/helloworld.c"
make: *** [src/helloworld.o] Error 127

I did verify that the folder and the file exists. Is this an SDK installation problem?

Accepted Solutions
Visitor

Re: PC with Ubuntu 14.04 64bit, SDK 2015.1 fails to compile (make error 2) compiler not found

I cannot believe that this dependency is missing, I was able to make it run on CentOS but guess Ubuntu is the same situation

Install dependency:

yum install /lib/ld-linux.so.2

Xilinx, what is wrong with your developer team? Why the installer doesnt check for dependencies on Linux systems? I'm so upset with this "policy" of releasing tools that doesn't work not even when installed from scratch. I wasn't able to find any reference to requird dependencies on UG-973 installation guide. Is this the new standard? you deserved a "0"

Regards,

Very upset user

View solution in original post

All Replies
Visitor

Re: PC with Ubuntu 14.04 64bit, SDK 2015.1 fails to compile (make error 2) compiler not found

I cannot believe that this dependency is missing, I was able to make it run on CentOS but guess Ubuntu is the same situation

Install dependency:

yum install /lib/ld-linux.so.2

Xilinx, what is wrong with your developer team? Why the installer doesnt check for dependencies on Linux systems? I'm so upset with this "policy" of releasing tools that doesn't work not even when installed from scratch. I wasn't able to find any reference to requird dependencies on UG-973 installation guide. Is this the new standard? you deserved a "0"

Regards,

Very upset user

Visitor

I was able to make SDK work under ubuntu after installing the 32 bits libraries:

libncurses5-dev

lib32z1

lib32ncurses5

lib32bz2-1.0

So... why they say it is only supported on 64-bits?

Software developers at Xilinx: please add a dependency check on your installers......

Visitor

This has always been the case with the toolchain on 64-bit Ubuntu. I used to need these to just start Vivado when it was 32-bit, and now after upgrading to the 64-bit 2015.1, I forgot all about it until my system complained that arm-xilinx-eabi-gcc could not be found. These are third-party (GNU) projects/programs. Xilinx just packs a stable version in with their installer for convenience, which they probably should have built for amd64 platforms if they're dropping support for 32-bit otherwise, but they're likely just going to push it out later.

If you'd rather use a 64-bit version, you can install it with apt-get or whatever your distro's package manager is, then in the SDK you can change the project settings to use your own toolchain.

sudo apt-get install gcc-arm-none-eabi gcc-arm-linux-gnueabi

If you think Xilinx is bad, try using TI's Code Composer Studio and the TI-RTOS/SYSBIOS real-time system... I did, and I've cherished every momentI spend with the Xilinx tools ever since, lol, and TI doesn't have to integrate a whole toolchain for FPGA development either.