UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

PL Custom Peripheral UART

Jump to solution

Hello,

Does anybody know how we can print PL data on UART (PS7 UARTs or AXI UARTs)? I have a custom PL peripheral and I have some signals that I would like to print through PS. How can I achieve this ?

Thank you very much for your help !

Kind regards,

Abdul

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar stephenm
Scholar

Re: PL Custom Peripheral UART

Jump to solution

If your custom IP has an AXI interface, then you can send the data to the AXI UART (XIL_OUT32(ADDR, DATA);

The AXI UART, and PS UART only accept data on an AXI interface (This is an embedded IP designed to work in a processor system). If you want to output your data from your custom IP onto the TX/RX pins, then you will need to add the UART protocol to your custom IP, or hack the AXI UART to place your data into the RX FIFO

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Do you have a SDK application with the orint statements? It will be similar to a hello world application.

http://zedboard.org/content/zedboard-sdk-helloworld-example

Regards

Sikta

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

I was not clear in my question. I will try to be more clear this time.

I have a custom peripheral and its output needs to be printed over AXI UART. My question is how can I connect both these IPs together in order to print my data. In other words, how can I generate my peripheral output as RX,TX?

Thank you very much for your answer.

Kind regards,

Abdul

0 Kudos
Scholar stephenm
Scholar

Jump to solution

If your custom IP has an AXI interface, then you can send the data to the AXI UART (XIL_OUT32(ADDR, DATA);

The AXI UART, and PS UART only accept data on an AXI interface (This is an embedded IP designed to work in a processor system). If you want to output your data from your custom IP onto the TX/RX pins, then you will need to add the UART protocol to your custom IP, or hack the AXI UART to place your data into the RX FIFO

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi,

You need to use C code as shown in attached example to print data from/to between custom IP & UART.

This is done thru print statements. If you are writing to preipheral use Xil_Out32 (Address, data) and for reading use Xil_In32 (Address). The example shows same for BRAM <-> AXI UART. Similarly you can repalce BRAM with the custom IP here in C code.

Regards

Praveen

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if the information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

either store your output into Bram and use axi_bram control to access from software  or use axi_gpio and connect to your ip.  or DMA, you can't print ur device output directly from hardware, gotta transfer to an axi device for software to read.

0 Kudos