UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer rgebauer
Observer

PMU firmware fails to build – Embedded Design Tutorial UG1209

I am currently working with the Embedded Design Tutorial (UG1209) and tried to generate firmware for the PMU (p.43 f.) of the ZYNQ UltraScale+ ZCU102 board. So far, everything worked as expected and I was also able to create linux images using PetaLinux (the next example project) so, in principle, I think that my system is set up correctly.

When creating the firmware and building it after a "Clean Project" everything seems to work until it stops during the linking process with an error message:

[...]

Building target: pmu_fw.elf
Invoking: MicroBlaze gcc linker
mb-gcc -nostartfiles -Wl,-T -Wl,../src/lscript.ld -L../../pmu_bsp/psu_pmu_0/lib -mlittle-endian -mxl-barrel-shift -mxl-pattern-compare -mcpu=v9.2 -mxl-soft-mul -o "pmu_fw.elf"  ./src/idle_hooks.o ./src/pm_api.o ./src/pm_binding.o ./src/pm_callbacks.o ./src/pm_clock.o ./src/pm_common.o ./src/pm_config.o ./src/pm_core.o ./src/pm_ddr.o ./src/pm_extern.o ./src/pm_gic_proxy.o ./src/pm_gpp.o ./src/pm_master.o ./src/pm_mmio_access.o ./src/pm_node.o ./src/pm_node_reset.o ./src/pm_notifier.o ./src/pm_periph.o ./src/pm_pll.o ./src/pm_power.o ./src/pm_proc.o ./src/pm_requirement.o ./src/pm_reset.o ./src/pm_slave.o ./src/pm_sram.o ./src/pm_system.o ./src/pm_usb.o ./src/xpfw_aib.o ./src/xpfw_core.o ./src/xpfw_crc.o ./src/xpfw_error_manager.o ./src/xpfw_events.o ./src/xpfw_interrupts.o ./src/xpfw_ipi_manager.o ./src/xpfw_main.o ./src/xpfw_mod_dap.o ./src/xpfw_mod_em.o ./src/xpfw_mod_legacy.o ./src/xpfw_mod_pm.o ./src/xpfw_mod_rtc.o ./src/xpfw_mod_sched.o ./src/xpfw_mod_stl.o ./src/xpfw_mod_wdt.o ./src/xpfw_module.o ./src/xpfw_platform.o ./src/xpfw_resets.o ./src/xpfw_restart.o ./src/xpfw_rom_interface.o ./src/xpfw_scheduler.o ./src/xpfw_start.o ./src/xpfw_user_startup.o ./src/xpfw_util.o ./src/xpfw_xpu.o   -Wl,--start-group,-lxil,-lgcc,-lc,--end-group -Wl,--start-group,-lxilfpga,-lxil,-lgcc,-lc,--end-group -Wl,--start-group,-lxilsecure,-lxil,-lgcc,-lc,--end-group
../../pmu_bsp/psu_pmu_0/lib/libxilsecure.a(xsecure_rsa.o): In function `XSecure_RsaSignVerification':
(.text.XSecure_RsaSignVerification+0x2c): undefined reference to `XGetPSVersion_Info'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [pmu_fw.elf] Fehler 1

14:32:42 Build Finished (took 6s.919ms)

It seems like the library behind "xplatform_info.h" is somehow missing but I could not figure out how to resolve this problem.

Any hints are highly appreciated.

My system configuration:
- CentOS Linux 7

- Xilinx Vivado HL System Edition, SDK and Petalinux Tools; all version 2017.1

- ZYNQ UltraScale+ ZCU102 production version board

- Downloaded ZCU102 BSP (prod-silicon) from Xilinx

0 Kudos
8 Replies

Re: PMU firmware fails to build – Embedded Design Tutorial UG1209

Hi @rgebauer,

I have already seen the same type of error but only on windows.  It seems that the make clean file remove the RSA library.

The only way I have found is to re-create the BSP. If this is the issue, it should be fixed in 2017.3.

Regards,

Florent

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos

I have the same error message when trying to build using PetaLinux 2017.2.

../../pmu-firmware_bsp/psu_pmu_0/lib/libxilsecure.a(xsecure_rsa.o): In function `XSecure_RsaSignVerification':
(.text.XSecure_RsaSignVerification+0x2c): undefined reference to `XGetPSVersion_Info'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status

0 Kudos
Observer rgebauer
Observer

Hi Florent,

thanks for your help. Unfortunately, the error remains.

Steps I took:

- Disabled "Build Automatically"

- Regenerate BSP Sources

- Build Project

So, as you suggested, I did not clean the firmware project before building.

Another warning I found that might be related (appears while generating the BSP):

[...]
Running Make libs in psu_pmu_0/libsrc/xilsecure_v2_0/src
make -C psu_pmu_0/libsrc/xilsecure_v2_0/src -s libs  "SHELL=/bin/sh" "COMPILER=mb-gcc" "ARCHIVER=mb-ar" "COMPILER_FLAGS=  -O2 -c -mcpu=v9.2 -mlittle-endian -mxl-barrel-shift -mxl-pattern-compare -mxl-soft-mul" "EXTRA_COMPILER_FLAGS=-ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -Wall -Wextra"
Compiling XilSecure Library
xsecure_rsa.c: In function 'XSecure_RsaSignVerification':
xsecure_rsa.c:419:6: warning: implicit declaration of function 'XGetPSVersion_Info' [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
  if (XGetPSVersion_Info() != XPS_VERSION_1)
      ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Finished building libraries

09:21:44 Build Finished (took 4s.516ms)

I checked and theoretically "xplatform_info.h" is referenced in the header file but somehow it seems like it is not parsed correctly?

Regards,

Richard

0 Kudos
Visitor pice
Visitor

Same issue for me,

Linux Centos 7

Vivado 2017.1

Matching BSP and Petalinux

0 Kudos
Observer rgebauer
Observer

Nobody any advice or suggestions how to fix this problem? It's a bit frustrating to get stuck while still working through the tutorial not having achieved any single line of production code...

Is there anything I can do to give further insights in the system configuration etc.?

@florentw Judging from the error message, I cannot agree that the RSA lib got removed as it parses it and tries to link it but cannot find the XGetPSVersion_Info() function from another file.

In xplatform_info.h lines 82 - 84:

#if defined (ARMR5) || (__aarch64__) || (ARMA53_32)
u32 XGetPSVersion_Info();
#endif

Is the pmu covered by  this #if condition? I tried to manually adjust it by commenting the #if out but on running build it gets restored to its original state...

0 Kudos

Hi @rgebauer,

Yes the PMU should use it because you are using a ZCU102 which is a aarch64.

If you want to comment the line, you need to use it in a local repo (copy the library and ad it to the local repo)

Florent
0 Kudos
Visitor pice
Visitor

Hi @florentw

as far as I know the PMU is a Microblaze Architecture which isn't __aarch64__?

If it is compiled with the mb-gcc it shound't take this definition serious.

BR

Nick

Hi @pice,

Yes you are right the PMU FW runs on an MB... I replied too quickly...

On my project, the use of XGetPSVersion_Info is also marked as implicit declaration of function (I also have a warning) but I have no issue building the PMU FW.

Florent
0 Kudos