cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Participant
Participant

PMU firmware fails to build – Embedded Design Tutorial UG1209

I am currently working with the Embedded Design Tutorial (UG1209) and tried to generate firmware for the PMU (p.43 f.) of the ZYNQ UltraScale+ ZCU102 board. So far, everything worked as expected and I was also able to create linux images using PetaLinux (the next example project) so, in principle, I think that my system is set up correctly.

When creating the firmware and building it after a "Clean Project" everything seems to work until it stops during the linking process with an error message:

[...]

Building target: pmu_fw.elf
Invoking: MicroBlaze gcc linker
mb-gcc -nostartfiles -Wl,-T -Wl,../src/lscript.ld -L../../pmu_bsp/psu_pmu_0/lib -mlittle-endian -mxl-barrel-shift -mxl-pattern-compare -mcpu=v9.2 -mxl-soft-mul -o "pmu_fw.elf"  ./src/idle_hooks.o ./src/pm_api.o ./src/pm_binding.o ./src/pm_callbacks.o ./src/pm_clock.o ./src/pm_common.o ./src/pm_config.o ./src/pm_core.o ./src/pm_ddr.o ./src/pm_extern.o ./src/pm_gic_proxy.o ./src/pm_gpp.o ./src/pm_master.o ./src/pm_mmio_access.o ./src/pm_node.o ./src/pm_node_reset.o ./src/pm_notifier.o ./src/pm_periph.o ./src/pm_pll.o ./src/pm_power.o ./src/pm_proc.o ./src/pm_requirement.o ./src/pm_reset.o ./src/pm_slave.o ./src/pm_sram.o ./src/pm_system.o ./src/pm_usb.o ./src/xpfw_aib.o ./src/xpfw_core.o ./src/xpfw_crc.o ./src/xpfw_error_manager.o ./src/xpfw_events.o ./src/xpfw_interrupts.o ./src/xpfw_ipi_manager.o ./src/xpfw_main.o ./src/xpfw_mod_dap.o ./src/xpfw_mod_em.o ./src/xpfw_mod_legacy.o ./src/xpfw_mod_pm.o ./src/xpfw_mod_rtc.o ./src/xpfw_mod_sched.o ./src/xpfw_mod_stl.o ./src/xpfw_mod_wdt.o ./src/xpfw_module.o ./src/xpfw_platform.o ./src/xpfw_resets.o ./src/xpfw_restart.o ./src/xpfw_rom_interface.o ./src/xpfw_scheduler.o ./src/xpfw_start.o ./src/xpfw_user_startup.o ./src/xpfw_util.o ./src/xpfw_xpu.o   -Wl,--start-group,-lxil,-lgcc,-lc,--end-group -Wl,--start-group,-lxilfpga,-lxil,-lgcc,-lc,--end-group -Wl,--start-group,-lxilsecure,-lxil,-lgcc,-lc,--end-group
../../pmu_bsp/psu_pmu_0/lib/libxilsecure.a(xsecure_rsa.o): In function `XSecure_RsaSignVerification':
(.text.XSecure_RsaSignVerification+0x2c): undefined reference to `XGetPSVersion_Info'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [pmu_fw.elf] Fehler 1

14:32:42 Build Finished (took 6s.919ms)

It seems like the library behind "xplatform_info.h" is somehow missing but I could not figure out how to resolve this problem.

Any hints are highly appreciated.

My system configuration:
- CentOS Linux 7

- Xilinx Vivado HL System Edition, SDK and Petalinux Tools; all version 2017.1

- ZYNQ UltraScale+ ZCU102 production version board

- Downloaded ZCU102 BSP (prod-silicon) from Xilinx

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted

Re: PMU firmware fails to build – Embedded Design Tutorial UG1209

Hi @rgebauer,

I have already seen the same type of error but only on windows.  It seems that the make clean file remove the RSA library.

The only way I have found is to re-create the BSP. If this is the issue, it should be fixed in 2017.3.

Regards,

Florent

Florent
Product Application Engineer - Xilinx Technical Support EMEA
**~ Don't forget to reply, give kudos, and accept as solution.~**
0 Kudos
Highlighted

I have the same error message when trying to build using PetaLinux 2017.2.

../../pmu-firmware_bsp/psu_pmu_0/lib/libxilsecure.a(xsecure_rsa.o): In function `XSecure_RsaSignVerification':
(.text.XSecure_RsaSignVerification+0x2c): undefined reference to `XGetPSVersion_Info'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant
Participant

Hi Florent,

thanks for your help. Unfortunately, the error remains.

Steps I took:

- Disabled "Build Automatically"

- Regenerate BSP Sources

- Build Project

So, as you suggested, I did not clean the firmware project before building.

Another warning I found that might be related (appears while generating the BSP):

[...]
Running Make libs in psu_pmu_0/libsrc/xilsecure_v2_0/src
make -C psu_pmu_0/libsrc/xilsecure_v2_0/src -s libs  "SHELL=/bin/sh" "COMPILER=mb-gcc" "ARCHIVER=mb-ar" "COMPILER_FLAGS=  -O2 -c -mcpu=v9.2 -mlittle-endian -mxl-barrel-shift -mxl-pattern-compare -mxl-soft-mul" "EXTRA_COMPILER_FLAGS=-ffunction-sections -fdata-sections -Wall -Wextra"
Compiling XilSecure Library
xsecure_rsa.c: In function 'XSecure_RsaSignVerification':
xsecure_rsa.c:419:6: warning: implicit declaration of function 'XGetPSVersion_Info' [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
  if (XGetPSVersion_Info() != XPS_VERSION_1)
      ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Finished building libraries

09:21:44 Build Finished (took 4s.516ms)

I checked and theoretically "xplatform_info.h" is referenced in the header file but somehow it seems like it is not parsed correctly?

Regards,

Richard

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Same issue for me,

Linux Centos 7

Vivado 2017.1

Matching BSP and Petalinux

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Participant
Participant

Nobody any advice or suggestions how to fix this problem? It's a bit frustrating to get stuck while still working through the tutorial not having achieved any single line of production code...

Is there anything I can do to give further insights in the system configuration etc.?

@florentw Judging from the error message, I cannot agree that the RSA lib got removed as it parses it and tries to link it but cannot find the XGetPSVersion_Info() function from another file.

In xplatform_info.h lines 82 - 84:

#if defined (ARMR5) || (__aarch64__) || (ARMA53_32)
u32 XGetPSVersion_Info();
#endif

Is the pmu covered by  this #if condition? I tried to manually adjust it by commenting the #if out but on running build it gets restored to its original state...

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @rgebauer,

Yes the PMU should use it because you are using a ZCU102 which is a aarch64.

If you want to comment the line, you need to use it in a local repo (copy the library and ad it to the local repo)

Florent
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer
Observer

Hi @florentw

as far as I know the PMU is a Microblaze Architecture which isn't __aarch64__?

If it is compiled with the mb-gcc it shound't take this definition serious.

BR

Nick

Highlighted

Hi @pice,

Yes you are right the PMU FW runs on an MB... I replied too quickly...

On my project, the use of XGetPSVersion_Info is also marked as implicit declaration of function (I also have a warning) but I have no issue building the PMU FW.

Florent
0 Kudos