Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
karvi_in
Observer
Observer

Programming Nexys 2 via digilent jtag

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have a Digilent Nexys 2 board that comes with usb-jtag interface different from Xilinx standard. Hence Digilent Adept is the usual program to download the bit files. However Digilent has a plugin that allows you to program the board via xmd command line interface, a sample usage is given below

-------

XMD% fpga -f download.bit -cable type xilinx_plugin modulename digilent_plugin

XMD% connect mb mdm -cable type xilinx_plugin modulename digilent_plugin

MicroBlaze Processor Configuration :
-------------------------------------
Version............................7.20.a
Optimization.......................Area
Interconnect.......................PLBv46
MMU Type...........................No_MMU
No of PC Breakpoints...............1
No of Read Addr/Data Watchpoints...0
No of Write Addr/Data Watchpoints..0
Instruction Cache Support..........off
Data Cache Support.................off
Exceptions Support................off
FPU Support.......................off
Hard Divider Support...............off
Hard Multiplier Support............on - (Mul32)
Barrel Shifter Support.............off
MSR clr/set Instruction Support....on
Compare Instruction Support........on
Data Cache Write-back Support......off
Connected to "mb" target. id = 0
Starting GDB server for "mb" target (id = 0) at TCP port no 1234

XMD% dow executable.elf
-----------

Now  SDK allows you to debug remotely by first setting up a gdb server in the host machine using

$ XMD - ipcport 2350

Is there anyway, I can link these two process in order to debug my programs using the GUI (using the Debug As Hardware ) command?

I tried setting up a gdb server and then using my own local IP address in the host address field (in the GUI), with and without the example port 1234 shown above, but the GUI could not find my cable.

Is there anything else I could try? Purchasing a iMPACT compatible jtag cable is an expensive option that I cannot afford.

Karthik

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
karvi_in
Observer
Observer

Solved! I found the solution a few mins after I posted this. I feel a bit silly now.

The trick is to simply connect to the jtag plugin using the console window in the GUI itself. No icport command is necessary.

The "Debug As Hardware"  then works just as in a seperate jtag cable.

One downside is that is that the download.bit file which contains the single instruction bootloop (the one that sits in the fpga accepts the main  .elf files from SDK) must be downloaded first either through adept or the bash shell (using the commands listed in the above message). This is a one time process, so not an issue.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
karvi_in
Observer
Observer

Solved! I found the solution a few mins after I posted this. I feel a bit silly now.

The trick is to simply connect to the jtag plugin using the console window in the GUI itself. No icport command is necessary.

The "Debug As Hardware"  then works just as in a seperate jtag cable.

One downside is that is that the download.bit file which contains the single instruction bootloop (the one that sits in the fpga accepts the main  .elf files from SDK) must be downloaded first either through adept or the bash shell (using the commands listed in the above message). This is a one time process, so not an issue.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
ronen_agranat
Visitor
Visitor

Hi there

I'm having difficulty with the Digilent Plugin, running Windows 7 x64 and Xilinx ISE + EDK + SDK 12.2 with a Digilent Nexys2-500 Spartan 3E. I downloaded the plugin from Digilent's site here, manual attached.

Adept itself works fine, for uploading bitstreams to the FPGA and BRAM. I understand that I need Digilent Plugin to load my program ELF onto the Micron SRAM, using Xilinx tools -- Adept itself does not provide this feature.

However, XMD, Chipscope, EDK and SDK are all unable to locate the plugin, displaying the message:

XMD% connect mb mdm -cable type xilinx_plugin modulename digilent_plugin

Error:Could not open plug-in of the type: digilent_plugin. Please check to make sure the correct plug-in for this type is installed.
 ERROR: Failed to Open JTAG Cable
        Check the following:
        1. Cable is Connected to the Board and the Board is Powered-ON
        2. On Cable Lock Error, Close the other application using the cable or Remove Cable Locks using "xclean_cablelock" command
        3. You have specified the correct JTAG settings for cable type and port.

I have pasted the two DLL and XML files in the following locations, as directed by the manual:

C:\Xilinx\12.2\ISE_DS\ISE\lib\nt64\plugins\Digilent\libCseDigilent\

C:\Xilinx\12.2\ISE_DS\ISE\lib\nt\plugins\Digilent\libCseDigilent\

What have I done wrong?

Thanks for your time!

Ronen

0 Kudos
pritom
Observer
Observer

I am having the exact same problem as ronen_agranat . Please share if you have found a solution.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
pritom
Observer
Observer

Hi,

Have you figured out any solution for this yet ? I am stuck in the same situation. It would be a great help if you could suggest me any guideline on this.

Thanks

0 Kudos
gkirev

Hi guys, you probably already solved the problem, but since I had it too, here's my solution.

I have a ATLYS board, but it shouldn't matter.

I had the exact same error, iMPACT wasn't able to find the plug-in. What I did is just to install the ADEPT software from Digilent's web site. Then it worked like a charm.

Hope this helps,

George.

0 Kudos
westocl
Visitor
Visitor

No i belive there still is no answer.  The atlys shows on the website that it is able to be programmed with the Adept and the digilent plugin. I think everybody with the nexy2 is oly allowed to program with the adept.

anybody with nexy2 disagree or find a workaroud?

0 Kudos
andreag
Observer
Observer

Try

C:\Xilinx\12.2\ISE_DS\ISE\lib\nt\plugins\Xilinx\libCseDigilent\

instead of

C:\Xilinx\12.2\ISE_DS\ISE\lib\nt\plugins\Digilent\libCseDigilent\

0 Kudos
rska

This will work:

Add the libCseDigilent

C:\Xilinx\12.4\ISE_DS\ISE\lib\nt\plugins\Xilinx

or

C:\Xilinx\12.4\ISE_DS\ISE\lib\nt64\plugins\Xilinx

as:

C:\Xilinx\12.4\ISE_DS\ISE\lib\nt\plugins\Xilinx\libCseDigilent

or

C:\Xilinx\12.4\ISE_DS\ISE\lib\nt64\plugins\Xilinx\libCseDigilent

In iMPAC open  Output _  Cable Setup…, set the following options and click OK.

• Open Cable Plug-in box: Checked
  • Select or enter a Plug-in from the list: digilent_plugin  (not digilent)
0 Kudos