UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Visitor jbratten
Visitor

Questions: 14.7 EDK - SDK & XPS

Hi all,

Little history - Migrated from version 10.x  using Spartan3e to version 14.7 using Spartan6.  Therefore, original design used XPS in 10.x to generate both the .bit and.elf files.  Now in 14.7, XPS is used solely for the .bit file and SDK is utilized for .elf generation.   Trying to verify new design on a new board w/ Spartan6.  Have a couple of questions.

SDK Project Structure:

Application_MicroBlaze0_NTP
Application_MicroBlaze0_NTP_bsp
Application_MicroBlaze1_NTP
Application_MicroBlaze1_NTP_bsp
Application_xc6slx25_AXI_hw_platform

In Debugging MicroBlaze0 projects alone in SDK, cannot get my Application_MicroBlaze0_NTP C source code viewable - shows only in assembler. However, Xilinx library code Application_MicroBlaze0_NTP_bsp (from .mss file)  in debugger is mixed (C and Assembler).  What am I missing?  How do I get my Application_MicroBlaze0_NTP shown in mix?  By the way the configuration is Debug = active.  Below is the command line.

mb-gcc

-Wall -O0 -g3 -I"C:\Application_xc6slx25_AXI\SDK_projects\Application_MicroBlaze0_NTP\src" -c -fmessage-length=0 -D __XMK__ -I../../Application_MicroBlaze0_NTP_bsp/microblaze_0/include -mlittle-endian -mxl-barrel-shift -mno-xl-soft-div -mcpu=v8.50.c -mno-xl-soft-mul -mxl-multiply-high -mhard-float -mxl-float-convert -mxl-float-sqrt -Wl,--no-relax -ffunction-sections -fdata-sections

Next question.  Is SDK smart enough to know how the Microblaze is configured in XPS?  Therefore, if mult and floating point is enabled on the microblaze in hardware file - will the compiler automatically use the hardware rather than using software when project is built.  I had to go into settings - "Microblaze gcc compiler -> Inferred Options -> Processor Options" and manually change these settings to better reflect the hardware.  One would think, I should not have to do this.

Futhermore, tweeking the hardware in XPS and exporting into SDK does not always appear to update the mss file completely / properly / immediately.  For instance, I had an IP on MicroBlaze1 and later changed it to MicroBlaze0 - the mss did not seem to update the change right away.  I guess the question would be - what is the iron clad way to take new .bit into SDK?

I have spent days trying to work thru these issues.  I have yet to dive into new board.

I would appreciate any assistance.  Thank you in advance!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: Questions: 14.7 EDK - SDK & XPS

Hi,

Whenever there is a change the recommendation is to do a Export HW to SDK and try to create a workspace for it.

The options set in the HW(while configuring the Microblaze) would be propogated to SDK BSP and can be confirmed in xparameters.h generated.

--Hem

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Visitor jbratten
Visitor

Hem,

Just for clarity - do I have to make a brand new workspace?  Normally, I export XPS with new .bit and then in SDK see if "Change Hardware Platform Specification" window is up and click "Yes".  If not up, I will right click on myApplication_xc6slx25_AXI_hw_platform and manually do it myself. 

Thanks for your response!

0 Kudos
Visitor jbratten
Visitor

Hi all,

I fixed the debug issue for viewing my application in mixed mode.  I was loading the release .elf and not debug .elf.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Hi,

This makes sense. You are following the right procedure.

--Hem

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
0 Kudos
Visitor jbratten
Visitor

Thanks again Hem!

0 Kudos