UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Observer zubinkumar
Observer

Reg: Speeding up ISE 10.1 compilation time ... switching to ISE 12.1...

Hi,

I am currently running ISE 10.1 on windows XP, Intel core2 Duo, with a clock speed of 2.33GHz and 3.23GB of ram.

I usually compile designs (make bitfiles) for a Virtex5 FPGA. The time to make the bitfile is about 45 mins.

I was wondering if I kept the same OS and hardware, and switched to ISE 12.1, will it have any effect on the compilation time? Will it help reduce the bitfile generation time? Or should I upgrade my computer hardware as well to work better with 12.1?

Or should I simply upgrade the computer, while keeping ISE 10.1? Will that help reduce the compilation times?

Also, I dont have planahead with ISE 10.1. Will manually floorplanning the FPGA design help reduce the bitfile generation time?

Please let me know ...

Thanks and regards,

Zubin Kumar.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Reg: Speeding up ISE 10.1 compilation time ... switching to ISE 12.1...

well ise 10.1 is fine for xp but its not compatible with 64bit machine and also creates problem with win 7.

Ur pc seems perfect, its better to update the ISE, 14.4 or 14.5 is good and it has plan ahead..12.1 is not bad option but its good to go with latest version..

genarating .bit file involves with the ur design size, if u have more peripherals it will take time but 45 min is too long..better to switch to new vesrion

remember ISE 14.4 is perfect with 8gb ram, win 7 & 64bit

good luck

0 Kudos