UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adventurer
Adventurer

Regarding TestApp_Memory and testing of 512 MB flash

Jump to solution

Hi all,

I will be testing a 512MB spansion flash through EDK. Just wanted to confirm

1. whether there are any restrictions using EMC controller for this?

2. whether TestApp_Memory application be able to test it?

It will be really helpful if someone throw light on these basics, as I am not getting confidence for the same. If any one of above is not feasible, then I will have to start preparing for some other option.

Thanks and regards

Saransh

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Regarding TestApp_Memory and testing of 512 MB flash

Jump to solution

Hi,

For the 1st question, yes. The address width for the memory can be up to 32, so 512MB should be okay.

For the 2nd question, no without any modification. The TestApp_Memory program tests the memory simply by writing into and reading from it. But for flash memory, a special accessing algorithm needs to be used for any write operation, so the TestApp_memory won't work.

For testing flash memory, perhaps you can rely on your xilflash libraries (provided in EDK) for reading and writing the flash. For more information about it, you can read its data sheet at the following location.

%XILINX_EDK%\sw\lib\sw_services\xilflash_v2_01_a\doc

There is also this AR I think you should know as a reference.

http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/35166.htm

Hope it helps.

-Yan Shun Li

2 Replies
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Hi,

For the 1st question, yes. The address width for the memory can be up to 32, so 512MB should be okay.

For the 2nd question, no without any modification. The TestApp_Memory program tests the memory simply by writing into and reading from it. But for flash memory, a special accessing algorithm needs to be used for any write operation, so the TestApp_memory won't work.

For testing flash memory, perhaps you can rely on your xilflash libraries (provided in EDK) for reading and writing the flash. For more information about it, you can read its data sheet at the following location.

%XILINX_EDK%\sw\lib\sw_services\xilflash_v2_01_a\doc

There is also this AR I think you should know as a reference.

http://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/35166.htm

Hope it helps.

-Yan Shun Li

Adventurer
Adventurer

Jump to solution

Hi shuns,

Yes. Thanks for the help. I think this solution suffices the need.

Thanks and regards

Saransh

0 Kudos