UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

Remote Programming Cable

Greetings.

My colleague and I are attempting to setup a remote programming cable setup using an extra desktop PC in our lab.  His desk and my desk are located on one side of a large room.  In the middle of that room, we have an ML605 board as part of a larger control system.

We have floating licenses for all of the Xilinx Tools.  We would like to connect the ML605 to the extra desktop PC's USB ports and run Platform Studio EDK  and SDK on our own respective computers, connecting to the extra desktop over our company's LAN.  Is this possible?  We've thought of using Remote Desktop, but our personal machines are much more powerful than the extra desktop we have lieing around, and it would be nice to keep our working copies of our sources on separate computers while we bring up the system.  I have a few USB extension cables that have been useful in the past, but I'd rather not have additional cables running across our walkway, or have to pass the cable every time one of us wants to test a change.

Any thoughts or experiences?  I've used the Chipscope cable server before, but never remote versions of Impact or XMD.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Remote Programming Cable

I have a similar setup and tried to get it to work. I'm working on a Linux system and the target computer runs good old WinXP in 32bit mode, both with ISE 12.1. It's possible with a few limitations:

• Downloading a BIT file via iMPACT (either gui mode or command line) works
  • Burning BPI Flash indirectly with a MCS file via iMPACT works (but you don't wanna do that too often)
  • Connecting/Downloading via ChipScope works

You just need to start the cse_server.exe program found in the ISE's binary path. It works for both iMPACT and ChipScope.

What I couldn't get to work, nor even get any consistent infos on the matter, was XMD. The manual says that you need to start XMD in server mode on your target machine (ipcport). However, SDK appears to be unable to establish a stable connection in debug mode. The XMD host sees the incoming connection attempt, but SDK fails for unkown reason.

There are three things that apperantly will not work at all:

• Using the indirect flash programming dialog, as there is no option anywhere near to input an IP address
  • Use the normal RUN mode, for same reason. Only for debug there is a remote IP address field
  • Download/Program a bitstream, see above

If you happen to get remote debugging to work, I'd be very happy if you could share the info with me.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Remote debug should work fine in 12.x SDK. Rather than using XMD's ipcport, you'd use XMD's gdbserver.

remote$ xmd

XMD% connect mb mdm (or) connect ppc hw

This will open up the gdbserver and print its port number. You can then specify this in SDK. However, run, program FPGA, etc from SDK are not supported for remote machines.

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Thank you all for your replies.

We have confirmed this functionality.  We can debug remotely using the SDK.  It's a little buggy.  Sometimes we need to close SDK on both machines and restart to get the connection reestablished.  We cannot figure out how to use the "run" functionality from the SDK.  I was hoping XMD might support something through the "dow" command, but no luck.

I was thinking it might be possible to connect to the remote machine with ssh and programming using xmd there.  It would be nice if Eclipse could be configured to automatically copy generated .elf files to our remote "lab machine."  Perhaps this can be done by configuring a post-build event.  Using that, we could modfiy the source, build, (automatically copy), and then execute via XMD over an ssh connection.

0 Kudos
Visitor sunitakhilar
Visitor

Could you please explain how you manage to establish debugging on remote target using SDK and chipscope. I am able to launch XMD console on remote client and GDB server with mb target at TCP port no=----, but as per your post where this port no is to be put on SDK?

Please explain...

thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

In SDK, create a new debug configuration (under the 'run' menu). One of the tabs will allow you to enable remote debug and set the machine name/IP and port number.

0 Kudos
Visitor sofarrell
Visitor

Hello,

Is there someone that can point me on a document that list all the ise version regarding the cse_server.exe availability ?

or just tell me the first ISE version that comes with cse_server.exe ?

I know that 9.2 does not have cse_server.exe and ISE 13.4 have it but don't knon in between.... 

thanks 

0 Kudos