UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor firefox_pl
Visitor

Running app from external memory without XMD, is it possible?

Hello I am currently working on a design on my xupv2p board. The custom IPs I use take most of the blockRAMs therefore I would like to use only DDR for the app memory. I've successfully run the app from SDK using XMD, but I'm curious whether it is possible to run the design without necessity of booting from the PC. The whole design can be downloaded from CompactFlash or PROM after power-up, but can the app be booted from CF/PROM as well? If so what should I do to enable this?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Message Edited by firefox_pl on 06-07-2009 03:41 AM
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Visitor sachingorkhe
Visitor

Re: Running app from external memory without XMD, is it possible?

Hi,

Yes you can boot your board from on-board flash/PROM. You need to build a image say elf file from your correct s/w flow and dump the same into a non-volatile memory like flash and then generate a bit file with having information about the s/w location to copy into FPGA, which is stored into PROM.

When you power-On the board your FPGA will be configured from PROM and then it will cache from Flash to copy the image into SRAM if availble on board. Your board will run without having XPS/EDK stand alone anytime anywhere.

Hope this helps you,

Regards,

Sachin

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Since you already has SystemACE on your board, using CF card might be a relative easier solution for you.

Just generate the ACE file with the elf file specified in the command line. Check out the est_rm.pdf for the details.

-XF

0 Kudos
Visitor firefox_pl
Visitor

Thank you both for the replies, till the end of month I will try it and report back.
0 Kudos