UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer
Explorer

SDK 12: "Program FPGA" button does nothing

Jump to solution

First of all, I'm really liking the improvements made in the ISE 12 EDK / SDK.  I've been running it on Vista x64 and so far no crashes.  I've successfully migrated an 11.4 project to 12.1.  I have built hardware and exported .bit, .bmm, and .xml files to SDK.  I have created a BSP with lwIP and some of my own software libraries.  I have generated some .elf files for 2 applications that use this BSP.

And now I've hit a hurdle.  When I press the "run" button SDK warns me that the FPGA has not been programmed yet.  So I press the "Program FPGA" button and then nothing happens.  I'm expecting to see the dialog which allows me to select a .bit, .bmm, and .elf file so that data2mem can program my blockram to create a download.bit, and then impact can program the FPGA, but absolutely nothing happens.

Did I mess up the project somehow as I imported old projects into a new workspace?  I'd rather not start over with a brand new export if I don't have to.  Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: SDK 12: "Program FPGA" button does nothing

Jump to solution

Ok, in that case the issue is probably due to the import of an existing s/w platform. You could work around it by just creating a new one and then importing the C project.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Glad you like the new changes in 12.1.

Regarding any SDK issue, we'd need info from two places:

1. Go to Preferences -> Xilinx SDK and set Log Info Level to Trace. This should dump out more info in the SDK Log console window. The log from this is usually quite helpful.

2. Your case seems like a bug, most likely a Null Pointer error. See the file $workspace/.metadata/.log. This file should have a exception trace if something went wrong.

With info from those two places, we should be able to figure out what the issue is. It should bring up the dialog like you expect.

Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

I see the following in the .log file

!SESSION 2010-05-05 15:35:07.296 -----------------------------------------------
eclipse.buildId=Release 12.1 Build SDK_MS1.53d
java.version=1.6.0_16
java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86_64, WS=win32, NL=en_US
Command-line arguments:  -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86_64

!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui 4 0 2010-05-05 15:35:34.854
!MESSAGE Unhandled event loop exception
!STACK 0
java.lang.NullPointerException
	at com.xilinx.sdk.tools.internal.BramInitElfLocator.filterByProcessor(Unknown Source)
	at com.xilinx.sdk.tools.internal.BramInitElfLocator.getAppProjectsForHwPlatform(Unknown Source)
	at com.xilinx.sdk.tools.internal.BramInitElfLocator.getELFs(Unknown Source)
	at com.xilinx.sdk.targetmanager.ui.configfpga.ProgramFPGAView.initializeElfProcMap(Unknown Source)
	at com.xilinx.sdk.targetmanager.ui.configfpga.ProgramFPGAView.setupDefaults(Unknown Source)
	at com.xilinx.sdk.targetmanager.ui.configfpga.ProgramFPGAView.createDialogArea(Unknown Source)
	at org.eclipse.jface.dialogs.TitleAreaDialog.createContents(TitleAreaDialog.java:147)
	at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.create(Window.java:431)
	at org.eclipse.jface.dialogs.Dialog.create(Dialog.java:1089)
	at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.open(Window.java:790)
	at com.xilinx.sdk.targetmanager.ui.configfpga.ProgramFPGAHandler.execute(Unknown Source)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.handlers.HandlerProxy.execute(HandlerProxy.java:294)
	at org.eclipse.core.commands.Command.executeWithChecks(Command.java:476)
	at org.eclipse.core.commands.ParameterizedCommand.executeWithChecks(ParameterizedCommand.java:508)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.handlers.HandlerService.executeCommand(HandlerService.java:169)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.handlers.SlaveHandlerService.executeCommand(SlaveHandlerService.java:241)
	at org.eclipse.ui.menus.CommandContributionItem.handleWidgetSelection(CommandContributionItem.java:770)
	at org.eclipse.ui.menus.CommandContributionItem.access$10(CommandContributionItem.java:756)
	at org.eclipse.ui.menus.CommandContributionItem$5.handleEvent(CommandContributionItem.java:746)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:84)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1003)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:3880)
	at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3473)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runEventLoop(Workbench.java:2405)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runUI(Workbench.java:2369)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.access$4(Workbench.java:2221)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$5.run(Workbench.java:500)
	at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:332)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:493)
	at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:149)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEApplication.start(IDEApplication.java:113)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:194)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:110)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:79)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:368)
	at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:179)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:559)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:514)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1311)
	at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:1287)

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Clearly this is a bug, but we haven't seen it. I suspect that the issue could be because you started out by importing projects, and maybe something was not imported properly.

I'd suggest that you try the following: In a different workspace, 1. Create new h/w project. 2. Create a sample app. 3. Try to program FPGA. So in this sequence, you are not importing any older projects. If this fails as well, then I'd suspect that this might be a platform specific issue. If it passes, then it is probably due to a failed import.

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

Yes, that did work vsvisa.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Jump to solution

Ok, in that case the issue is probably due to the import of an existing s/w platform. You could work around it by just creating a new one and then importing the C project.

0 Kudos
Explorer
Explorer

Jump to solution

I managed to export to a fresh workspace, create a new standalone bsp, then create a new project and copied my source into that folder.  Everything is working now.  It didn't take very long, since I have most of the settings memorized by now.

Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Visitor donbymathieu
Visitor

Jump to solution

I've seen the same thing on EDK 13.1 on my Win7 64 machine.  I too had to recreate the project.  I think everytime I stop and disconnect from the debugger the same thing happens when i try to connect the next time.

0 Kudos
Observer sreitsma
Observer

Jump to solution

Make sure none of your projects references the hardware platform specification (Right click project->Properties->Project references). The only exception is the xilinx generated bsp.

When a project does reference the hw platform the "Program FPGA" option fails silently.

Regards,

Sytse

0 Kudos
Newbie paul.ourada

Jump to solution

Ditto here for SDK 13.3. To the fellow who replied regarding referring to the HW platform, my setup did not refer to the HW platform, and I still get this problem. My logs do show null pointer exceptions when the defect is expressed.

Paul Ourada

Sr Principal Software Engineer

Covidien, Surgical Solutions

0 Kudos
Newbie paul.ourada

Jump to solution
By the way, using Win7 64-bit as well.
0 Kudos
Newbie maxq2000

Jump to solution

Ditto for 13.4 on Win7 64-bit.

Step1: First made a backup copy of all three project items listed below just in case the "Delete" menu really deleted my files.

Step2:  Then "Deleted" the three project items below out of the workspace. Turns out the "Delete" menu just removes them from the workspace and really does not delete them but safer just to make a backup copy in a temp folder just in case. 

1. Source File Project

2. BSP Project

3. Hardware Project

Step3: File | Import | Existing Projects Into Workspace and select the projects to readd them to the workspace.

Step4: In my case I actually also had to delete the BSP Project and create another one since I was customizing from a working example program so the BSP Project settings were not right for my customized project. After the exisiting BSP Project folder was deleted from the workspace directory using Windows Explorer I then just created a new BSP project by doing File | New | Xilinx Board Support Package.

Finally I can now use the "Program FPGA" button to bring up the "Program FPGA" Window.

MAX

0 Kudos
Newbie maxq2000

Jump to solution

Another important thing to do is to right click on the source project and select the "change referenced BSP" option to select the current bsp especially if you rename it.

MAX

0 Kudos