UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

SDK 14.5 Program FPGA button does nothing

Jump to solution

I installed the 14.5 tools lately and I've been encountering a problem when I press the "Program FPGA" button in SDK nothing happens. I expect  to see a dialog that shows a percentage complete and then a blue led lights up on the development board (ZedBoard), but now nothing happens.

I followed instructions in this post for an earlier SDK revision but it didnt help. I did turn on the trace option as well but the console log didnt update. 

The project files I have in SDK are all exports from PlanAhead. This is a similar procedure I used to do with previous projects without issues.

I would appreciate some help on what I should be looking into next to fix this problem.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Contributor
Contributor

Re: SDK 14.5 Program FPGA button does nothing

Jump to solution

Yes I did. Sorry for the late reply. I had to use a workaround through the xmd console where I would download the bit file through xmd and then I launch the debug configuration as I did before. Throughout this process you have to have the hw server up and running too.

As a matter of fact with the latest SDK update I did not have this issue again plus launching the hw server does not seem necessary anymore. 

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution
I did also check project references per AR# 35951. Issue still remains.
0 Kudos
Observer cosgrma
Observer

Jump to solution
I know this bug is incredibly frustrating. What you have to do is launch XMD and type fpga -f system.bit . Make sure you are in the directory that the system bit file is in. Most likely it is hw_platform or something like it. Good luck!
0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Thanks cosgrma. Actually it has been extremely frustrating so far. I've been spending hours trying to figure out the issue without any resolve. 

I followed youre recommendations and I get the following: "Unable to read FPGA Bitstream 'system.bit'. Check if the file exists and is valid." I did also check that the system.bit file exists in the folder and it does. 

I also tried to load the FGPA configuration using iMPACT and I managed to do that successfully. However, when I try to download the elf file to program the arm core I get a "Problem Occured" dialog box indicating an internal error occured during launching the elf file. 

I checked with different project files that I had created in the past with 14.2 SDK that I knew where working properly and I manage to program the FPGA using the same button without any issues. Not sure whats going on. I'm at a loss and running out of ideas for things to try.

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Actually one more difference that I noticed recently is that I have to click the Launch Hardware Server button any time I attempt to connect to the board over JTAG. Otherwise I get the error "Failed to connect to Xilinx hw_server. Check if the hw_server is running and correct TCP port is used."

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

If you are giving some output command like xil_printf in the code, be sure to connect RS232 or null modem cable and open port through terminal software.

I had same problem with 14.4 SDK , mine was resolved this way...May work for you.

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Thanks anupam_m.

I actually tried that too. Its shows me that its connected but I couldnt get to download the elf file. I'm still stuck without resolve.

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Try creating new project with new board settings...

Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution
Good Point. Ill try that. Actually this project is the first I run with the newly added zedboard settings in the 14.5 tools. Before I just chose the device and configured the settings myself.

I hope it works. Thanks again anupam_m!
0 Kudos
Visitor sacoskun
Visitor

Jump to solution
Try to open "launch hardware server" under "xilinx tools" menu
0 Kudos
Voyager
Voyager

Jump to solution

Hey any update on this ? Did u manage to solve this ?

0 Kudos
Contributor
Contributor

Jump to solution

Yes I did. Sorry for the late reply. I had to use a workaround through the xmd console where I would download the bit file through xmd and then I launch the debug configuration as I did before. Throughout this process you have to have the hw server up and running too.

As a matter of fact with the latest SDK update I did not have this issue again plus launching the hw server does not seem necessary anymore. 

0 Kudos
Visitor bomel
Visitor

Jump to solution

0 Kudos
Visitor bomel
Visitor

Jump to solution

Does not work either with 14.6 ...

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

@cosgrma wrote:
I know this bug is incredibly frustrating. What you have to do is launch XMD and type fpga -f system.bit . Make sure you are in the directory that the system bit file is in. Most likely it is hw_platform or something like it. Good luck!

In my case that also solved the problem, here on 14.7. I further noticed that you don't necesserily have to be in the same folder. I had the same problem with a path "~/path/to/system.bit" where i changed it to "/home/<user>/path/to/system.bit" and it worked. It seems that XMD does not understand shortcuts.

0 Kudos