UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Observer ofdouglas
Observer

SDK 2016.2: Cannot select 'Standalone' for OS Platform

Hello,

I am trying to create a simple, bare-metal, Microblaze MCS project. I have generated the hardware and exported my design to SDK, but I am unable to create an application project. When I try to create an application project, the only choice under 'OS Platform' is Linux. My understanding is that I should see 'Standalone' as an option, and that this is the correct option for a bare-metal project:

sdk_problem.png

If I click 'next', I get a choice for 'Linux Empty Application' or 'Linux Hello World'. Trying to create a Linux Empty Application results in the following error messages:

00:10:50 ERROR	: (XSDB Server)ERROR: [Hsi 55-1414] App linux_empty_app is not Found in repositories

00:10:50 ERROR	: (XSDB Server)ERROR: [Hsi 55-1508] No Sw Design is loaded, Please create/open a design

00:10:50 ERROR	: Failed to call GENERATE_APP 
Reason: ERROR: [Common 17-39] 'hsi::generate_app' failed due to earlier errors.

00:10:50 ERROR	: 
java.lang.RuntimeException: Failed to call GENERATE_APP 
Reason: ERROR: [Common 17-39] 'hsi::generate_app' failed due to earlier errors.

at com.xilinx.sdk.xsdb.XsdbCommandUtils.handleResult(XsdbCommandUtils.java:301)
	at com.xilinx.sdk.xsdb.XsdbCommandUtils.executeAndRespond(XsdbCommandUtils.java:239)
	at com.xilinx.sdk.appwiz.internal.AppGen.generate(AppGen.java:555)
	at com.xilinx.sdk.appwiz.core.LinuxProjectHandler.createNewLinuxApp(LinuxProjectHandler.java:106)
	at com.xilinx.sdk.appwiz.core.LinuxProjectHandler.createCoreApp(LinuxProjectHandler.java:62)
	at com.xilinx.sdk.appwiz.core.AppCreationHandler.createApplication(AppCreationHandler.java:115)
	at com.xilinx.sdk.appwiz.core.AppCreationHandler$1.run(AppCreationHandler.java:59)

What should I do to create a bare-metal Microblaze MCS project? What do I need to do to get 'Standalone' as an option for 'OS Platform'? 

Thanks!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

Re: SDK 2016.2: Cannot select 'Standalone' for OS Platform

Did you create a bsp for your project? Ideally if you have a microblaze system in your HW, you should be able to get the Standalone option during the creation of the Application under OS Platform.
Thanks,
Anirudh

PS: Please MARK this as an answer in case it helped resolve your query.Give kudos in case the post guided you to a solution.
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

hi,

once you have export the design to SDK, you will be able to find HDF/XML file. can you please share that?

--hs

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Observer ofdouglas
Observer

athandr: I am unable to create a BSP. The 'Board Support Package OS' window is blank. and 'Finish' button is greyed out. Is it normally necessary to create a BSP before creating an application project?

sdk_problem2.png

htsvn: I am not sure exactly which file you are asking about, so I zipped and attached the whole '.sdk' subdirectory for the project.

0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

hi @ofdouglas,

Ideally if the system does not know you have a microblaze in your system it does not show up in the options. The way to tell the system is through the hdf and hence bsp.

Also once you export the Hardware and then click "File -> Launch SDK" from Vivado, it should automatically create the BSP for you. And then you can create an application project.

Thanks,
Anirudh

PS: Please MARK this as an answer in case it helped resolve your query.Give kudos in case the post guided you to a solution.
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

hi,

thanks for the files. i have used your HDF and was able to generate a BSP for Standalone OS in 2016.2

what is the operating system you are using?

--hs

Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Capture.PNG
0 Kudos
Xilinx Employee
Xilinx Employee

hi,

page 8 of http://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2016_2/ug973-vivado-release-notes-install-license.pdf suggests the supported OS.

can you please try this in one of these OS?

--hs

0 Kudos
Visitor 19861021
Visitor

Use Centos 7. The same problem.

0 Kudos
Visitor 19861021
Visitor

Problem was fixed. You need start manualy ./xsdk with root(sudo).
0 Kudos