UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scholar ronnywebers
Scholar

SDK 2018.2 - system debugger refuses to stop at main

Jump to solution

Using SDK 2018.2 and Zynq 7Z020 device

Although I enabled 'stop at main' in the tab 'Application', my processor just starts running when I start the system debugger session. I can see my code works fine, because leds flash, and uart spits out expected text.

Screenshot 2019-07-25 at 17.28.49.png

Screenshot 2019-07-25 at 17.31.06.png

If I hit debug the cpu starts running immediately:

Screenshot 2019-07-25 at 17.31.50.png

If I hit the pause button, I get :

Screenshot 2019-07-25 at 17.32.01.png

so I can see there's some call stack and disassembly, but SDK seems to have lost the link to my source files/code ... 

I've attached my SDK.log file in case that might help...

I tried unchecking - rechecking the flag 'stop at main', but without success. I tried to create a new application project (hello world), same problem.

This problem seems not to be new looking at some other forum posts, I'd like to know if there's a way to fix this in 2018.2

Could this be some hidden file that is wrong/corrupt/missing? I'm trying to recreate my sdk project from a git repo, maybe it has something to do with a file not being checked in, or a file that shouldn't be checked into git, I'm not sure. In my 'origin' repo, I can debug/step through my code ... 

here's a link to my .gitignore file in another (recent) post

** kudo if the answer was helpful. Accept as solution if your question is answered **
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scholar ronnywebers
Scholar

Re: SDK 2018.2 - system debugger refuses to stop at main

Jump to solution

I finally found the solution myself ... I'm using SmartLynq as debugger, and it is said nowhere in the manual that one needs to turn on a small checkbox ...: 'use symbol server' 

SmartLynq symbol server.png

I created a more detailed post here, that describes all symptoms you get, so other people can benefit from it, and hopefully not waste the time that I did

** kudo if the answer was helpful. Accept as solution if your question is answered **
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Scholar ericv
Scholar

Jump to solution

@ronnywebers 

May be this is what you are encounterng --- depending on the option settings of the linker it can in-line functions and when it does so it's not possible to put a breakpoint on the in-lined functions.

0 Kudos
Scholar ronnywebers
Scholar

Jump to solution

@ericv I'm not sure if that is the case ... any idea where I can find the option to have all functions inlined?

I checked the application project's properties -> compiler and linker settings:

right click on the app project -> properties -> C/C++ build -> settings -> Tool settings -> ARM v7 gcc compiler :

-Wall -O0 -g3 -c -fmessage-length=0 -MT"$@" -mcpu=cortex-a9 -mfpu=vfpv3 -mfloat-abi=hard -I../../sncp_bsp/ps7_cortexa9_0/include

right click on the app project -> properties -> C/C++ build -> settings -> Tool settings -> ARM v7 gcc linker :

-mcpu=cortex-a9 -mfpu=vfpv3 -mfloat-abi=hard -Wl,-build-id=none -specs=Xilinx.spec -Wl,-T -Wl,../src/lscript.ld -L../../sncp_bsp/ps7_cortexa9_0/lib

under linker -> General I did find 'omit all symbol information' (-s option), but this is not checked so ...

not sure what the problem is here ... it looks like SDK cannot find it's debug info ... I thought this info is extracted from the .elf file somehow, but I'm not an expert in that. 

0 Kudos
Scholar ronnywebers
Scholar

Jump to solution

I checked the .elf file (objdump --dwarf=decodedline sncp.elf), it clearly contains debug info that links addresses to source code files and lines. So the info is there, only SDK doesn't use/read it... not the cause must be found in that direction I think:

Screenshot 2019-07-26 at 12.12.58.png

0 Kudos
Scholar ericv
Scholar

Jump to solution

@ronnywebers 

There a many flags that could in-line. They are described in:

https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Optimize-Options.html

In-line optimization is unlikely as your command line doesn't use any of them

0 Kudos
Scholar ronnywebers
Scholar

Jump to solution

I finally found the solution myself ... I'm using SmartLynq as debugger, and it is said nowhere in the manual that one needs to turn on a small checkbox ...: 'use symbol server' 

SmartLynq symbol server.png

I created a more detailed post here, that describes all symptoms you get, so other people can benefit from it, and hopefully not waste the time that I did

0 Kudos