cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

SDK import newly exported hardware

Is there a way in Vivado/SDK to import a newly exported hardware (i.e. Top.hdf) into SDK without having to close SDK and relaunching it?   My usual flow when I have a new hardware design in Vivado is to:

1. Launch SDK, delete the existing top_hardware in project-explorer.

2. Close SDK.

3. In Vivado export hardware including bitstream (generating a Top.hdf).

4. Launch SDK from Vivado which opens the new hardware in project explorer.

I was just wondering if I could avoid step 2 where I have to close SDK, and step 4 where I have to relaunch it.   I was hoping I could keep SDK open, export hardware from Vivado, and then somehow in SDK import the new hardware.

Thanks.

Tim

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted

Hi @tim_severance,

Ideally, you should be able to update the hw without closing SDK.

However, there was a known issue in 2017.2. Please go through https://www.xilinx.com/support/answers/69489.html 

Thanks,
Arpan
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindly note- Please mark the Answer as "Accept as solution" if information provided is helpful.

Give Kudos to a post which you think is helpful and reply oriented.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Highlighted

@arpansur Thanks for the response.   Is there a way within SDK to import the HDF file and create the HW portion in the project explorer?

Thanks.

Tim

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

As mentioned above, there is an issue with the 2017.2 version of the tools.  In other versions of the tool, you should be able to leave SDK open when you export the hardware in Vivado.  Once the HDF file is exported, SDK should see it and ask you if it is ok to import into the project.  If the new HDF file is different from the previous HDF file, the hardware platform project should automatically update.  You may need to "Regenerate" the BSP and then clean the application projects.

Ted Booth | Tech. Lead FPGA Design Engineer | DesignLinx Solutions
https://www.designlinxhs.com
0 Kudos
Highlighted

@tedbooth,

Thanks for the response.  I just tried that where I deleted the hw_platform from the Project Explorer in SDK, and then went to Vivado and did a hardware export and nothing happened in SDK.   If I exit out of SDK and then relaunch it from Vivado then it will show up of course.

Tim

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

You shouldn't need to delete the hw_platform.  It should get updated with the new HDF.

You can also create a new hw_platform by:

File -> New -> Other...

1. Xilinx -> Hardware Platform Specification
Ted Booth | Tech. Lead FPGA Design Engineer | DesignLinx Solutions
https://www.designlinxhs.com
0 Kudos
Highlighted

Thanks for the info. I wasn’t aware of the File->New->Other route.
I used to do like you say and not delete the hw platform but I would get all kinds of weird crashes and compile issues so I have gotten into the habit of always deleting the hw platform and bsp every time my hw changes and it helps prevents the issues.
Tim
0 Kudos