Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

SDK programming failed

Hi ,

I am working with ML605 and when i try to program my board with a bootloop or an application using SDK it gives me an error about lost communication with jtag, however if i open iMPACT, then everything is ok, why iMPACT works and SDK programming does not??

And it just happend sometimes, and sometimes it works well

Also when i finally program the FPGA and i want to run an application from SDK, sometimes gives me an error about ELF, but after i just repeat the process and then the application run OK, so i am not sure what happens with SDK

Have you detected any bug error in SDK 13.2??

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Re: SDK programming failed

You propably already have a running application (so the JTAG connection is opened), and that's why SDK can't connect with it. Make sure you stop your running application before you try to download. Also, it would be a good idea not to program with Impact when you are debugging from SDK.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Scholar
Scholar

Yes i thought that as well but i was in SDK and then without change and close anything, open iMPACT and it recognizes JTAG chain. And when i work in SDK i dont have iMPACT open because i know it can cause conflict, but i still have the same errors
0 Kudos

I have a similar issue. I'm using the avnet Spartan6 LX9 board with its built-in Digilent interface. Impact works, but with the SDK, no luck.

Xilinx Tools -> JTAG settings: 3rd party cable,  -cable type xilinx_plugin modulename digilent_plugin 

( This dialog does not have a  'Test' button,  no way to verify the validity of the information entered. I suggest that it should.)

Xilinx Tools -> program FPGA : the 'Program' button is greyed out and there is no explanation why

Xilinx Tools -> Program flash: the 'Program' button is greyed out, and at the top of the window it says "No usable flash memory controllers were found in the hardware system'.

Impact is not open when I try this, and board is plugged in to USB.

13.2 on Win7 64. I installed both the 32 and 64 bit Digilent plugins in their respective dirs. I've followed all the setup instructions I can find. 

I've seen no error messages other than the one mentioned above. I get these warnings at SDK startup:

Invalid project path: Include path not found (C:\xilinx\13.2\ise_ds\edk\gnu\microblaze\nt\lib\gcc\microblaze-xilinx-elf\4.1.2\include). 

Invalid project path: Include path not found (C:\xilinx\13.2\ise_ds\edk\gnu\microblaze\nt\microblaze-xilinx-elf\include). 

... however that's not surprising since I installed on D:\XIlinx, not C:\Xilinx. The compiler seems to have no trouble finding include files.

One other thing : the install hung severely while installing microsoft redistributables (stopped forever and would not respond to 'cancel' or 'close'). Looked for one of those 'shy' windows asking for permission, none found,  I had to kill both installers via the task manager. When I then ran the ISE it told me I had to run a certain installer to install the redistributables, and that  complained that an install was in progress. So I restarted (the restart installed something, who knows if from this or from some unrelated Windows update) and then I was able to get it working.   There were  a couple of other installs for Digilent and the serial port, and one of those installed another distributable. 

Overall it seems to work fine now except that the SDK can't use the JTAG cable and won't really tell me anything to help me figure out why. 

Also: changing from 'auto' to 'manual' (with the XC6SLX9 as the only device) doesn't help.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Voyager
Voyager

Are you pointing to a valid path to a .bit file?  Does the Program FPGA dialog have any error message, such as " Bitstream path is invalid. No such file on disk." ?  The Program button will be greyed out if the Bitstream and BMM File selections are not valid.  I don't think the Program being greyed out has anything to do with your JTAG cable.  I have no idea of knowing whether you are an experienced SDK user or not, so I apologize if these questions are too basic.  If you are new to using SDK, you may benefit from some of the tutorials posted for this board on the Avnet DRC.  Go to www.em.avnet.com/s6microboard --> Support Files & Downloads.  Specifically, this one might be a good one to start with -- Software 101 - Hello World v13.2.01 (AXI)

If everything is valid, then perhaps you do have an installation issue, specific to your machine, perhaps specific to installing at the non-default D:\ location.  If iMPACT works, then I have to assume that the Digilent driver and plugin are installed.

You may want to consider re-installing and use the default C:\ location.  It sounds like you are already reading the Avnet Forums for this board that discusses resolutions to other Digilent JTAG errors.

http://community.em.avnet.com/t5/Spartan-6-LX9-MicroBoard/Trouble-downloading-to-LX9/m-p/3405#M187

http://community.em.avnet.com/t5/Spartan-6-LX9-MicroBoard/Digilent-plugin-on-ise-13-1/td-p/2070

http://community.em.avnet.com/t5/Spartan-6-LX9-MicroBoard/13-3-With-Digilent-Tool/m-p/3791/thread-id/273

Your other option is to open a Xilinx Support Case as this seems specific to SDK.

Bryan

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Well, I've been using Xilinx since about 1990, but your question wasn't too basic because you nailed it right away. That was it. I was using the 'hello world' tutorial, and I didn't realize that the paths which came up in the window were invalid (presumably it was correct in the original project location) -- because when I clicked on 'Browse' it came up with a directory containing the actual file - the same directory relative to the project -- and I'd thought that was what the full path was pointing at, and just hit escape and thus left the improper path there.

It would indeed be nice if it came up with an error  message, such as " Bitstream path is invalid. No such file on disk."  But no, just a gray button.

And I'm sort of stuck with the D: installation - Win7 left less than 30 G free on the C: partition.  I'm not comfortable using half of that for the xilinx tools. I'm quite happy with the speed BTW, this is not a high spec laptop but tools seem to run quite well on it.

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Hey 

I use the version 14.4 of tools Xilinx. I use the software ise to add a processor microblaze on my system. Then I run the XPS after the configuration of the hardware I want export the hardware unforunately the box Include bitsream and BMM file did'nt checked.

So in my project there is'nt the system.bit to programme the flash of the sp605 with the tools xilinx->Programm flash.

Do you knew this problem ?  

hope.png
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Voyager
Voyager

Hey

Since you are following the Project navigator Flow you need to export the design to SDK from the ISE. And you need to run the entire synthesis and implementation cycle in order to be able to export the bitstream. A reason why the box was grayed out for you might be because you don't have a bitstream generated from the ISE. Make sure you have this and then try to export.

Regards

Arvind

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Explorer
Explorer

Hey 

With the ise software I can't generate the bitsream I created an ew topic here http://forums.xilinx.com/t5/New-Users-Forum/Question-about-support-AR-43615/m-p/324481. In the file attached there is a screnshot of the ISE software. Is it possible that it's a problem of licence ? 

0 Kudos