UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SDK "Error while launching program: null"

Jump to solution

With SDK 2019.1, I have created a Harware Platform, then a BSP, then an application project. Everything compiled, the elf- and bit-file exist. When I try to launch the debugger, I get the attached error window:

Error while launching program: null
java.lang.NumberFormatException

Thank you

PS. I am able to program the PL from SDK.

PPS I tried from SDK 2017.4 and got the same error.

SDK_null.jpg
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: SDK "Error while launching program: null"

Jump to solution

It seems the problem is solved (but I have a new one, so I am not quite sure). The bit and hdf files where compiled on a new PC under Linux Ubuntu. During these days I found in some forum that it is better to unset the locale using >unset LANG. Then I have to force Vivado to regenerate the Bloc Design (Zynq), then in SDK I had to recompile everything. Now I do not get that error right from the beginning, and when I launch system Debugger, the FPGA is programed. Unfortunately I get stuck a step further with an "error while Launching Program", see attached. I will browse for that error.

Nevertheless it is a pity that Vivado uses the LANG variable. I understand that a spreadsheet uses it, because it should be human readable, but Vivado and SDK are producing code! Like #define XPAR_PSU_AMS_REF_FREQMHZ 48,435482

View solution in original post

errorWhileLaunchingProgram.jpg
0 Kudos
7 Replies

Jump to solution

Hi tcachat@metraware.com 

Could you provide an image of the debug configuration window? Some details about how are you connecting the target might be useful as well.

Regards

Ibai
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

The image of the debug configuration window is attached.

I have also tried other combinations of check/uncheck (Reset, program, ...), but I get the error right from the beginning.

debugConf.jpg
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I just tried on another PC, under Linux and not Windows (as it was). I created the Harware Platform, BSP, and application project from scratch, but I got the same result. Right from the beginning, the error appears.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I have just discovered some warnings

In the BSP : "There's no DDR_1 in the HW design. MMU translation table marks 32 GB DDR address space as undefined" [-Wcpp]
This warning was mentioned here: https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Embedded-Processor-System-Design/warning-quot-There-s-no-DDR-1-in-the-HW-design-MMU-translation/m-p/1009434
but I do not really understand. I have (only) 4Gbits DDR on my board.

In xparameters.h: excess elements in struct initializer, because of
#define XPAR_PSU_AMS_REF_FREQMHZ 48,435482
where it seems the coma should be replaced by a dot...

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi tcachat@metraware.com 

I would not be worried for the first warning message, it is just that the translation table provided by Xilinx is meant to be used with low and high DDR address spacecs while your design does not use high address space (no need as long as you are 4GB), so a warning message is given just in case.

The second warning/error seems to be some kind of type in the xparameters.h, and as long as your error message in SDK mentions NumberFormatException I'm curious if that solved the issue or not. Did it?

Regards

Ibai
Don’t forget to reply, kudo, and accept as solution.
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

It seems the problem is solved (but I have a new one, so I am not quite sure). The bit and hdf files where compiled on a new PC under Linux Ubuntu. During these days I found in some forum that it is better to unset the locale using >unset LANG. Then I have to force Vivado to regenerate the Bloc Design (Zynq), then in SDK I had to recompile everything. Now I do not get that error right from the beginning, and when I launch system Debugger, the FPGA is programed. Unfortunately I get stuck a step further with an "error while Launching Program", see attached. I will browse for that error.

Nevertheless it is a pity that Vivado uses the LANG variable. I understand that a spreadsheet uses it, because it should be human readable, but Vivado and SDK are producing code! Like #define XPAR_PSU_AMS_REF_FREQMHZ 48,435482

View solution in original post

errorWhileLaunchingProgram.jpg
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

The error I get now is a different one, so it should not be discussed here. I found some hint in https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/Embedded-Boot-and-Configuration/Mask-poll-failed-at-ADDRESS-0xFD4023E4-MASK-0x00000010/m-p/941804#M2188

Then looking at https://www.xilinx.com/html_docs/registers/ug1087/ug1087-zynq-ultrascale-registers.html I found that I also have a problem with the SERDES PLL (PS-GTR transceivers).

0 Kudos