UPGRADE YOUR BROWSER

We have detected your current browser version is not the latest one. Xilinx.com uses the latest web technologies to bring you the best online experience possible. Please upgrade to a Xilinx.com supported browser:Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer 11, Safari. Thank you!

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Visitor kjgregory
Visitor

SDK unable to connect to microblaze (ML605)

Jump to solution

Hello,

I am using the following tutorials to get up and running with a basic "hello world" application using a Microblaze system on my ML605 development kit. The tutorials are written using a different (zynq-based) kit, but I have selected the ML605 instead and stuck to default options as much as possible.

http://www.fpgadeveloper.com/2014/02/creating-a-project-using-the-base-system-builder-2.html

http://www.fpgadeveloper.com/2014/02/create-an-application-using-the-sdk.html

Everything goes smoothly, including the programming the FPGA step and I get a green "init done" LED lit up.

When I get to the "run the software application" step, I get a message that says

"Unable to connect to microblaze

MicroBlaze is under RESET. Check if the Reset input to MicroBlaze and its Bus Interfaces are connected properly.

UNABLE to STOP MicroBlaze"

My SDK version is: Release 14.7 Build SDK_P.20131013

What could cause this? I'm stumped. Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: SDK unable to connect to microblaze (ML605)

Jump to solution

The Microblaze is held in reset. Can you check the reset polarity is correct in your HW?

0 Kudos
6 Replies

Jump to solution

The Microblaze is held in reset. Can you check the reset polarity is correct in your HW?

0 Kudos
Visitor kjgregory
Visitor

Jump to solution

I don't see where I would set the polarity in EDK. In fact, I don't see where I would set the pins. I assumed that it knew how to assign the pins for the ML605, but maybe that's not a good assumption. Reset polarity is not listed in this column either (see attached image).

Sorry if I'm being dense, I'm trying to get a feel for how to use EDK and SDK. 

Capture.PNG
0 Kudos
Visitor kjgregory
Visitor

Jump to solution

Perhaps these warnings are relevant?

Capture.PNG
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

There should be an external reset (check external ports), that is connected to the proc_reset. Make sure that this is connected correctly.

If you used the BSB wizard then this should all be handled for you. Did you do this?

0 Kudos
Visitor kjgregory
Visitor

Jump to solution

Yes, I used the BSB and I tried to choose default options as much as possible. The first time I did it, I chose a different ethernet controller than the default.

I just started over from scratch and removed the ethernet and PCI alltogether and I still have this problem.

One thing I noticed is that for board Rev. #, 'D' is the only option, whereas my board appears to be Rev.E. Could this be an issue?

0 Kudos
Visitor kjgregory
Visitor

Jump to solution
OK, I figured out how to flip the polarity of the external reset port to active high and that appears to have solved the problem. Thanks for the help!
0 Kudos