cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bmacnit2
Visitor
Visitor

SP605 Board w/ Spartan 6 UART only for JTAG?

Jump to solution

I need my design running on the SP605 dev board w/ a Spartan 6 to communicate with 3 devices: I2C, SPI and RS-232.

I am able to work the I2C and SPI interfaces but the RS-232/UART seems to be dedicated to JTAG only.

Is it possible to reconfigure things to allow the RS-232 to come out the GPIO header so that I can interface with my 3rd device?  I would like to stil be able to use the USB-to-UART bridge to comm with the board.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sonicwave
Explorer
Explorer

Can't you just add an extra UART from within XPS, and route the pins to the GPIO header? You'll of course only get TTL level signals out, not RS232 level - you'll need an external transceiver (a MAX232 for instance) for that.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
sonicwave
Explorer
Explorer

Can't you just add an extra UART from within XPS, and route the pins to the GPIO header? You'll of course only get TTL level signals out, not RS232 level - you'll need an external transceiver (a MAX232 for instance) for that.

View solution in original post

bmacnit2
Visitor
Visitor

why yes i think that would work fine.  i will get started on that now...thanks

0 Kudos
thirdeye
Explorer
Explorer

The SP605 features two USB ports, a JTAG controller and a usb-to-RS232 controller.

These are completely separate but must be configured properly. If you check out the demo programs you can download from the poorly named SP605 documentation webpage, you can see how this is done.

Building a BSB system in EDK for the SP605 can give you a UART(RS232) with proper connections and constraints.

If you want logic levels out, great, do the GPIO way. This is really no different than doing it with the USB chip except for the pin LOC constraints. If you want the usb virtual rs232 port, assing the pins to those ones, if you want logic levels - go to the GPIO pins. If you need full voltage rs232 without the usb driver on a computer then you are out of luck with the SP605, but it sounds like that is not the case.

One thing I have done and I am guessing you may have done was to set MDM (debugger port) as the stdin/stdout in project options in EDK - then the JTAG debuger port become the "rs232" that youa re printing out to instead of the RS232 port that you want to be using.

Hopefully you solved this issue by now, but I hope this helps someone.

Josh

0 Kudos
kailassenan
Observer
Observer

MAX322 IC connection in order to change the voltage level in RX/TX pins assigned in GPIO header for converting to RS232 level

untitled.bmp
0 Kudos